Not an option

Chapter fifteen

Cleo had tried every trick in the book to hide her injuries in order to keep the secret return to Arcane from her Mother. The non- negotiable dinner at the palace happened to fall on Tuesday. Bargaining with her Dad to help her escape the torturous few hours was no help. Stupid rules!

"Good enough." Cleo sighed in the mirror she had been sat at for the past thirty minutes. Her choice of makeup was heavier than normal. She had learnt the perfect colour correction combination to blend the bruising on her olive skin. The tactic of curling her long hair in perfect position to cover the abrasion just in case, was second on the list. Her tight fit top and skinny jeans were far from formal for Asterin standards but Cleo hadn't really had the time to shop, nor did she have any desire for knee length dresses and beige cardigans.

Cleo nodded to the staff on the way to the main lounge room where Madeline awaits for her. The staff were always polite but seemed to be shocked as to Cleo's engagement with them, Cleo had no doubt that the likes of her step sister treated them poorly in order for their reaction.

Cleo knocked on the grand walnut coloured door. "Cleopatra, is that you?" Madeline asked. Cleo took one final breath before starting her evening of happy thoughts and biting her tongue.

"Yes, your highness." She mumbled as she stepping into the room. Cleo received a disapproving from Madeline who obviously caught her sarcastic greeting.

"No bike?" She asked noticing Cleo's empty hands that usually have a helmet attached to them.

Cleo shook her head. "Audi. Fancied a change for tonight." Her real reason for her decision was not as innocent as that. Cleo was recently reminded of her place in the racing world, however, she had gotten used to her bike so much that she'd be slacking on her driving.

"That isn't code for you crashed it is it?"

Cleo rolled her eyes. "No. I haven't crashed it, I'm actually more skilled than you believe." Madeline isn't completely aware of Cleo's racing. She knows her love of cars but since leaving Arcane herself she isn't aware of just how far deep her daughter is in that world.

"Oh Madeline, I love it!" An unfortunately familiar voice announced, loud and high pitched enough to break glass. The sight of Isabella in a bright yellow floor length dress stepping into the room made Cleo nauseous. "Don't you think it's great?" She asked while spinning in front of mirror that had never been there before.

"It's certainly eye catching." Madeline answered while tilting her head. Cleo laughed at her Mum's polite way of saying it looks awful. Isabella's eyes shot straight to Cleo, she was clearly furious with her reaction.

"I see you've arrived." She stated with an extra moody attitude. Cleo furrowed her brows at the lame comment, Isabella's intention of making simple observation insults are peculiar to Cleo.

"And apparently so has Stanley Ipkiss." Cleo replied sarcastically referring to the iconic yellow suit in 'The mask'" Isabella's face went from sour to fuming, she stomped her feet and stormed into the attached room.

"Must you antagonize her like that?" Madeline asked while sighing at Cleo laughing.

"Oh come on!" Cleo exclaimed momentarily stopping her laughter. "She's too sensitive. Isabella needs to learn how to take a joke."

Madeline glared at almost giving up with trying to keep Cleo in line. She knew her thoughts on Isabella and Cleo had never been shy to express them. But she had hoped with Cleo being around more they might start getting along, however, it has potentially made their relationship worse.