Father's comfort

Chapter twenty four

The strong knock ricocheted off the large wooden door.

"Come in." A deep and assertive voice commanded. Cleo opened the door to see her Dad's face soften when he caught a glimpse of who it was. "Ah, my favourite daughter."

Cleo rolled her eyes. "Only daughter, but thanks." He smirked but soon dropped it after reading his troubled child expression. "I've got a couple things I need your help with." She said as she clutched onto the files in her hands. Just as she was about to lay them flat she stopped. "You need to be totally honest, don't withhold thinking you're protecting me." He narrowed his threatening black eyes starting to see his daughters Valencia colours returning. Hade nodded and looked down at his desk to see the multiple photos of men.

"These are a blast from the past." He smirked while his scarred hand grazed over his stubble.

"You know them?" Cleo asked getting a tiny glimmer of hope.

"Some, but my concern is why you know them." He countered moving his attention to Cleo.

Her face scrunched. "We knew them." She said exaggerating the 'knew' "Turns out they were hitmen, it's a shame we hit them harder." Hade held back his slight amusement at her clever word play as his protective side took over.

"Hit men?" He questioned. Cleo nodded not meeting her Dad's eye. "So gangs and mafia's aren't on the radar?"

"Try a deal pool." She said organising the stray papers. Hade stopped her hands and pushed the documents away them away.

"Who's on the list?" He asked with urgency. Cleo's bit down on her jaw. "Cleopatra!" Hade shouted.

"Jax, Lola, Kai." Hade stayed silent knowing there was no way his family were entirely safe. "And me." Cleo finished.

A painful silence filled the frightful Father and Daughter before Hade's angry voice spoke leaving Cleo at the desk. "That's it, you're out. This is my operation now. It's too dangerous for you."

"WHAT? NO WAY!" Cleo shouted stepping closer. "Every hour names are added. And considering yours is nowhere to be seen I'm keeping it that way." Cleo controlled her fire and softened her voice. "I'm already on their list, and until they kill me or I kill them this will never be over."

"How much are you worth?" Hade asked.

Cleo sighed as he wanted to jump into the details. "Sixty million." His eyes shot straight to her. "Others have been fluctuating but I'm still at the top." Originally when they found out she was smug that she was number one but now she's fearful as to how much somebody wants her gone.

"I don't understand why me and your brother aren't on it."

"Neither do I" Cleo responded. "Believe me Zeus would rather swap his name for mine, but it doesn't work like that."

"Valencia's fight as one." Hade said proudly, thinking of the many battle they have won as a unit family. "Your Mother has no clue you're here. Doe"

Cleo stopped. "What she doesn't know wont hurt her." The more time she spent in Asterin was making her feel vulnerable. Being back in Arcane was making her feel like herself again.

"You were supposed to be safe there."

"And yet they still found me." She grinned spinning on her heels, her smile was not matched. "We know they aren't going to leave so I need to be here. If you insist on me still going to that hell hole then I'll do it, but I'm here to save my home and my family."

Hade always struggled to fight against Cleo, Zeus was easier to convince but his daughter was as strong minded as him and smart just like her Mother.

"We'll be at the base if you want to come around. Don't do anything to get yourself on the list." Cleo warned as she picked up the folders.

Hade scowled. "Excuse me young lady. I am the parent here."

"No, right now you're Hade Valencia so start thinking like the scary boss you are." Cleo had every bit of confidence in her Dad and her family.

"Cleopatra." Hade said catching her arm as she turned to the door. "Are you sure you can do this? You turned into some else last year. You can't go back to that."

Cleo looked down to the floor remembering all the things she did to keep their heads above water. She took people out without thinking and lost all remorse. Her family worried about her humanity and how she was a shadow of who she was. For months she didn't sleep, she drove through the night, fought alone and didn't stop until her life was almost taken from her.

"I'll do what I need to do. This was never just about me." She looked up to see Hade more worried than he had been for the last year. She gave him a smile before wrapping her arms around his stone body. He looked down to his daughter picturing her when she was a little girl and playing in his office. He pulled her tight.

"Just be careful my little fighter." He whispered.

She stepped back with a smile. "If your brother comes in wanting a hug I'll be going after that sixty million for you." Cleo laughed at her Dad no longer exposing his soft side.

Cleo left her home feeling both comforted and immense pressure. She was clueless as to what their starting point was but she knew she had to figure it out quick. Living up to her name 'Father's glory' sure does come with big expectations.

***

Cleo's phone buzzed as she walked down the quiet school hall. Zeus and Jax had been waiting eagerly for her plan. Zeus refused to stand down, although Cleo didn't want to see her big brothers name on the list, they could use all the help they can get. Lola had been working every hour trying to find something, she finally struck gold, a fraction of the amount she's used to, but she had a break through. The phones all bounced and connected to one cell tower. These phones had the same purposes of use, the target, the evidence and the wired transferred money.

Naturally Cleo thought her best friends name would appear on her screen but instead it was Madeline.

Mother: Come here straight after school!

"Well that's never good." Cleo muttered to herself. As she clicked onto Lola's name to get an update an arm wrapped around her waist and yanked her into a class room.

Cleo couldn't get a clear view of who the attacker was, but they were stupid to pull such a stunt in public. Her hand moved to her thigh rapidly taking a blade from its holder. But, before she used the deadly blade the person chuckled, Cleo sighed when she turned around.