A fighter

Chapter fifty four

Cleo sighed when she opened her eyes from her slumber. As she predicted, she didn't sleep one bit. She spent most of the night planning her next move, if she was doing this solo it had to be solid. Her rage made for good brain storming fuel. In order to stop her anger taking over and doing something stupid, she read one of her books from her classic section.

She looked at her phone and read the time. It was painfully early. But, the thought of tossing and turning in bed for any longer was going to push her over the edge. A hot steamy shower and good breakfast was what Cleo needed. However, when she got out the shower, and caught a glance of Kai's clothes, she was put off of her food. Days ago he was sound asleep on her sofa, now they had returned to their hate relationship.

'Morning beautiful. How are you doing?' Popped up on Cleo's phone. Charlie was up early, and in a chipper mood so it seemed. She sighed and locked her phone, well aware he would know she had opened it, and continued to ignore him. She needed space. And somebody to talk to who would understand. A smile rose to her lips. Cleo knew just the person, how could she possible forget?

~~~

Cleo walked through the long grand hall, encountering the familiar staff. Today, they seemed tense and nervous. She was sure she saw a maid shaking. Cleo had a pretty good idea as to why. The royals!

Cleo knocked on the usual living room. Her Mum's voice invited her in. Madeline had learned the tone and pattern of Cleo's knock, she had always been a very observant person.

"Safe to enter? Or is the Queen going to come for my neck." Cleo joked, walking into the large room she had grown to not find so intimidating.

"Oh please, they couldn't get out of here quick enough." Madeline replied.

Cleo raised her eyebrows. "They just got here. Where could they have possible gone?"

Madeline shrugged. "Don't know. Don't care." She answered honestly. Her Mother and sister's whereabouts stopped being her concern a long time ago.

"I've got to say, meeting a secret Aunt was unexpected." Cleo said, taking a seat on the sofa she had claimed as her spot.

"She wasn't so much a secret, more just somebody I wanted to forget. I had no clue they were coming." Madeline took a sip of her sweet cup of morning tea, with a smirk. "You certainly made an impression.

Cleo held back her burning laughter. "Yeah, well what did you expect? I take after my parents, they are quite rebellious." She said tight lipped. "But, I apologise if I crossed the line. I didn't exactly act appropriate."

Madeline laughed, lowering her cup. "You were the best part of the night. Seeing my Mother's face when you said your name was priceless. I'm just praying the photographer caught it." Cleo chuckled along with her Mum. She knew coming to see her was the medicine she needed. "How did the whole takedown go?" Madeline asked. Cleo was taken by surprise, to her knowledge she wasn't aware her Mum knew of the plan. "Come on Cleo. You didn't seriously think I didn't put the dots together? You kept disappearing along with multiple men who looked as if they were up to no good. Not to mention your Dad watching me all night."

"Well, in all fairness, I think my Dad was watching you out of personal interest." Madeline rolled her eyes at her daughter joke. It didn't stop her cheeks from blushing. She herself, was guilty of stealing multiple glances at Hade. She fought the temptation of dragging him away and finding a more private area. But she has known him for a long time, in which she recognised his work mode look. He wasn't there to mingle, he was the cover to whatever their kids were up to. "In total honesty. It was awful."

"Did someone get hurt?" Madeline asked instantly with great concern. Cleo looked into her worried eyes, she wondered why she ever doubted her Mum's love towards them.

"A few cuts and bruises. But emotionally, I'm dead and buried." Cleo continued to explain the whole situation outside. The great downfall. Reciting the events made it so real to Cleo, even though it sounded like a very elaborate made up story. It was the harsh reality.

Madeline moved from her seat and held her daughter tight the second she sensed Cleo becoming emotional. "Sweetheart, I had no idea. You should have come found me."

Cleo shook her head still in her warm loving embrace.

"I just needed to leave. But even if I wanted to I couldn't, nobody knows you're my Mum."

Madeline suddenly felt guilty. Their secret, despite thinking it's what is best stopped her from comforting her only daughter in her time of need. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be." Cleo said, shutting her Mum's guilt down. "Seeing the way your sister treats her daughter, like some puppy in a window makes me eternally grateful that I didn't have to live in that environment. Even though I've not being the best child. I didn't realise how lucky I am. I'm sorry you had to grow up like that."

Madeline smiled down Cleo, proudly. It's seems like only yesterday the sourer looking girl was glaring at her in misery and bitterness when she was told she had to stay in Asterin. She prayed Cleo would make the best out of the situation, and right now a glimmer of that prayer was showing.

"We all have our fair share of troubles. And although, ours are different, I still want to help."

Cleo listened intently, a tear slipped from her eye as she snuggled into her Mum more.

"I just feel so alone. I made a choice, but what happens if it's the wrong one? I've lost everyone because a stupid decision between two guys. I was never going to be 'that girl' I'm a Valencia. Feelings don't get in the way."

Madeline's heart broke, seeing her brave, fearless daughter like this was the worst thing she had experienced. But, it showed her that her little girl, the one that cares for everyone else more than herself was still in there. "You're still human Cleo. Just like everyone else you'll make mistakes, but this might not be a mistake, this might be the best decision you could have made. And if it's not, it won't just be me who helps you, it will be your family. Despite your argument, they will never truly leave, you've never let each other down before, so why would you start now?" There was a moment of silence. Not a sad or uncomfortable one, a peaceful and calm silence, Madeline had a feeling she hadn't had a very calm night. "I've know you your entire life, so I know you aren't a quitter. You've always been a fighter." Madeline gentle pulled her daughter up. She wiped the stray salty tear off of Cleo's silky smooth skin. "Trust me, I've had to make some very tough choices. Some not as good as others, but with time it's worked out. Be patient." For once, Cleo actually trusted someone when they told her to. "Besides, you are Cleopatra Valencia. There's nothing you can't do." Cleo gave her Mum a smile and hugged her one last time, Madeline pressed a kiss on her forehead before she stood.

"Thanks Mum." Cleo said.

"Hey." Madeline shouted before Cleo walked out the door. She threw an apple through the air, sensing she hadn't eaten yet. Cleo smirked, thinking of the scene in Asterin academy she created. The first time she put Francesca and Ralph in their place. She siphoned some of that confidence, feeling more herself already. "Be careful." Madeline told her, picking up a book she had stopped reading for Cleo. Cleo's love for reading definitely sprouted from her Mum.

"Why do you say that?" Cleo asked with narrowed eyes and a smirk.

"Because you're a mix of me and your Dad. Meaning there is a pretty high chance of you doing something outrageously dangerous. So just be careful while you're being reckless, Valencia." Madeline said with a smile and a tilted head.

Cleo giggled and took a bite from her apple. "No promises." She said strutting through the door. Madeline hadn't expected anything less, nor did she want to hear anything other than that. She loved Cleo more than life itself, so attempting to tame her would be a crime in itself.