Chapter Twelve

Dinah

"I think you need to rest," Normani said to me as my phone was propped up on some textbooks, "Baby. You're on the dean's list and starting position on your team you do not need to push yourself."

It was the weekend and while it seemed like everyone in my dorm went down to the coast, I was in my room studying. "I'm also a PA, so technically I'm on duty." I was getting paid to sit on my ass in my room waiting around to see if anyone would call me to my designated little flip phone. "I need the money and I'm okay with staying back. I really wanna want to get the hang of my economics class."

"You write notes for your notes," Normani giggled cutely while I watched her scrunch her nose up on the other side of the screen. "And I know your mom has a pretty good job now. Your brother and sister are also working. I'm not telling you to stop helping your family, but you don't need to overwork yourself when you don't have to."

I wanted to tell Mani she was right. That things were better at home and all of the pressure of keeping us afloat wasn't on me anymore.

I just wanted to be dependable. It's not something I could explain to her well, but I think I got so use to be relied on that it's weird to not have that responsibility anymore. Now I crave to help and if I can't-I keep myself busy by helping myself. Studying more. Working out. Bettering myself.

If I was better...

"Dee," I looked up to the phone only to see my beautiful girlfriend giving me that look that made everything stop, "I'm gonna be selfish when I say this, but I want to talk to you right now with your full attention...I miss you."

I felt the heat rise to my cheeks as I slowly set down my pen, "Okay." I said lowly before grabbing my phone and walking over to my bed. "Sorry. I just wanted to keep busy." Walking over to my bed I lied myself down on my side while holding the phone in front of me, as if she was lying there in front of me.

"I know baby," Normani smiled softly as I saw she was sat back on Lauren's couch, "That's why I'm here. To remind you to sit back and rest. And to speak to your girlfriend!" She added playfully at the end there while pouting towards me.

"How was your day, sweetness?" Hesitantly I asked about her new life in California.

I couldn't have be more proud of her and how far she's come working in forensics, but something in me still dreaded the idea of her living a wonderful life without me.

"Just the usual tests and helping detectives catch bad guys. Surprisingly Detective Smith brought in some amazing, you know Jorja, brought in some amazing donuts this morning. I'll buy you some when I see you next. Which is hopefully soon cause it's been a month since I've seen you since I've moved here. I really think we can do better than a month." She mumbled out annoyed that the last time we'd seen each other was when it was a three day weekend. Normani didn't give me the choice when she showed up and swept me away to LA.

It was such a romantic weekend that I still dream about it.

I immediately messaged Lauren a big thank you for having such an amazing house with a jacuzzi.

Her being the funniest woman alive messaged me back asking if she needed to send someone to clean her house. To which I sent a long voice message about how I wasn't the nasty one between the two of us not trying to reference about how she fucked her ex in my car!

Her ex.

"Dee."

Wow. When...when did I start thinking of her like that?