Chapter Thirty-One

NOT PROOFREAD

Camila

I don't like being reminded that I'm getting older while you stay the same age.

"Camz," I looked over to the driver's side to see Lauren smiling towards me before bringing our intertwined hands up to peck the back of my hand, "We're here."

With a blink I looked out the windshield to see we'd indeed reached the ranch I haven't been to for almost three years. There was two more trucks parked off to the side that I recognized as my father's brother's truck and his son's.

"Take as much time as you need," Lauren whispered against the back of my hand giving it another longing kiss as I closed my eyes at her touch.

Sofia spent the rest of the morning trying to convince me to come out to the ranch. If it wasn't for everyone in the house I would've shot it down immediately. The way I had gone mute at my little my sister's suggestion had gotten Lauren to come over quickly to hold my hand, it grounded me too quickly as Harry added he hadn't been there in years. Wanting to see his animals and just enjoy the time away from everything. Looking over to Lauren she looked over me concerned and I knew she was the only one who could see how it was making me feel. I gave them a yes only to have Sofia pull me away from my girlfriend and upstairs to give me her gift. It was in a long box I recognized usually used for a dress, but she told me to save it for when we got there.

Rolling my head over against the head rest I let me eyes trail over Lauren's outfit. Her hair was down and brushed over to one side letting me see the widow's peak she had and she had borrowed a dark cherry lip stick from my vanity that I thought suited her quite well. A white button up shirt under a baggy midnight blue sweater vest, black dress pants that hugged her thighs well, and some Doc Marten dress shoes that helped her be just a bit taller than she already was then me. Her eyes read nothing but worry and I leaned over to take her lips against mine.

Pulling back slowly I took our clasped hands to kiss her thumb, "I'm good." I smiled to her tiredly before letting her hand go to get out of my car and make my way to the open middle area of the house where I could see everyone gathered.

My uncle Javier and his wife Denise spotted me and pulled me into a tight hug. Tia Denise cupped my cheeks telling me how she use to remember me as a cute little girl while Tio joked about how close thirty was. I honestly didn't like his reminder and walked over to greet my cousins. The oldest was Diego, we were the same age and use to play together when we were younger. When we moved out here he tried to show me the partying scenes, but after one outing the summer of graduation I told him there was no way I could handle it. Itzel was Sofia's age and those two acted like twins sometimes with the way they read each others minds. They were always going out to try this new cafe or see some live show, even though our parents and myself would shut down those outings far too quickly sometimes when she'd want to go out at night.

"Everyone," I began to introduce my girlfriend who stood idly by the side letting me do my greetings, "This is-"

"ALA VERGA THAT'S LAUREN JAUREGUI!" Itzel squealed as she jumped on her brother's back and he just stared with big eyes. I expected the reaction from Itzel, but not from Diego.

"Holy shit I knew you worked together, but you guys are friends?" He asked and I felt a twinge of pain as I felt my shoulders drop.

Okay. That was a little hurtful. It's not like I'm that anti-social.

"Itzel you watch your mouth young lady!" Tia Denise scolded her as Itzel was still yelling and ruffled up her brother's hair. Sofia as usual had her phone up recording the reaction probably to use as leverage for later.