Chapter Twenty-Two

NOT PROOFREAD

Normani

I had never been more sure of something in my life than I was about this decision.

It was early in the morning as I waited by the airport gate exits. It was barely hitting ten thirty in the morning as I stood around other people who were waiting. Most were either parents or the other half of a couple waiting for their partner. I could even spot a huge family waiting for what I could only assume would be someone coming back from their service as they stood there with little American flags and a huge sign that read welcome home. Made me think of how my family would wait out by our front door whenever our mother would tell us dad was coming back.

All that was running through my head right now was how my parents are currently visiting along with my siblings. I'd surprised Dinah with her own family too since she seemed to be missing them especially more lately. Little did she know it was all part of a bigger scheme.

My heart grew warm as I watched Dinah speak with my parents so naturally. The way she got along with my siblings in a snap made me smile so big that I was okay with watching them mess around than wanting to step in and interrupt them. It was also so welcoming when all of her siblings rushed to tackle me in a hug when I went to pick up everybody at the airport yesterday. All of them thanking me for bringing them out and I just hugged them back just as hard. Dinah's mom practically sobbed over the phone when I explained to her what I'd been planning and she couldn't have been happier telling me she was relieved her daughter had me by her side.

I tried to tell her I was the lucky one, but she was adamant about Dinah actually being that.

I knew she was trying to reference in what problems they have as a family and how I was there for her, so I just told her I'd love Dinah for the rest of my life.

I could hear the people around me start to get louder and I looked up to see the arrivals coming down the escalators. The discharged soldier had the biggest applause and whistles as she made her way to the huge family. I smiled seeming how they let the family dog go and tackle the poor girl to the ground. She was crying so hard as the dog seemed to be losing their mind over seeing their buddy again.

Looking back I spotted the person I'd been waiting for and smiled watching her look around nervously. Brown hair pushed back into a messy ponytail with some bangs coming over her eyebrows and barely scraping at the black long framed glasses perched on her nose. Brown eyes shifting around nervously probably trying to spot me as she bit at the corner of her lip. A baggy blue pullover that seemed a little too long around the arms with some black yoga leggings and hi-tops told me she was more focused on comfort for the ride than style.

I brought my hand up to wave at her and she was quick to spot me. A smile grew quickly on her face as she waved back and almost clumsily dropped her designer duffle bag. As she got closer I could see she had a that small duffle with a leather backpack hooked to her shoulders. There were also some light bags under her eyes which told me she'd been working just as much as she'd told me she'd been. If anything I was glad she was able to come after she told me she probably couldn't make it.

"Mila," I smiled as she put down her bag in front of me and I pulled her into a hug, "I'm so glad you're here."

"Thank you for inviting me," she smiled and I could see the tears threatening to fall, "I-Mani-Really. Thank you. I'm so glad I get to be a part of this."

I squeezed her once more before pulling back and shaking my head, "Girl there's no way I could do this without everyone here. I am sorry about having to stay in a hotel though, the house is packed."