Chapter Nineteen

NOT PROOFREAD

Lauren
For the first time in five years it felt like I could breathe.

"I need to wear more disguises-this is amazing," I said to myself while looking over to nonfiction section in Strand. It was nice to not feel heavy gazes on my back or have people slowly shuffling to my sides to try and speak to me. There wasn't even a lingering feeling of paps buzzing around which felt very unreal.

It was a pretty slow day for the bookstore so there was room to just look around. Checking over my shoulder it felt a smile come on to my face to see Camila in awe of her books in their own little set up shelf with a huge life size cardboard cut of her two characters looking into each other's eyes. Whoever they hired for the illustrations did a beautiful job. It also made me think about how the movie's costume department did a great job in making Cat and I look like them.

Walking over I stood next to Camila who was holding the first book in her hands while I noticed she was holding a metallic yellow sharpie. A light laugh escaped me as she looked my way to give me an excited toothy smile, "Just some surprises for whoever finds these." She shrugged as she did an autograph of her pseudo author name before grabbing for other books in the trilogy.

"I'll post it on my story if you want," I told her as I got out my phone before she shook her head.

"It's okay. I'll text my publicist and she'll post about it on the book's social pages."

"I didn't know you had socials for the books." I said surprised while Camila signed one last book before looking around making sure none of the staff caught on.

"Well the publishing company and my publicist thought it'd be better to have one to announce the book releases or special stuff. Like Marisol-she's the one who did the artwork you see-did some fan art I really like so I asked if she wanted to work with us to sell prints." With that she kept the cover open to the front page before quickly snapping a picture, "I don't have any control over them and I like it that way. Less stress on me."

"I feel that," I laughed as she carefully placed the book back before walking over to the rest of the fiction section. Pulling my eyes away from the cute Latina next to me I tried to find interest in the cover of a book in front of me.

Everything in me wanted to bring up anything to continue talking to her, but peaking over I saw the glow in her eyes from her surroundings. She was beyond happy to be here right now and I didn't want to ruin that, so I let myself enjoy her happiness. Just being with her at this moment was enough for me.

Twenty minutes had passed and Camila had three novels in her hands before she made her way downstairs to check out the tote bags. With the biggest smile she said she had to get something for Sofia while we were here. I admired how she never stopped thinking about her family.

"This bag is adorable," she said in reference to a illustrated chubby orange cat lied out over an open book with stacks surrounding it on the front of the tote, "Now if there was one with a dog though..."

I weaved through the hanger until I did indeed find one of a dog with the store name on it. It was a little cartoon terrier looking excitedly over a book about archeology. Carefully pulling it out I got it down before looking over to see Camila laughing over another tote.

"Oh my god-Lauren. Look," she said as she turned it over to show me that it said-

If you go home with somebody, & they don't have books, don't fuck 'em.
-John Waters.

I couldn't help that chortle that left me as I shook my head, "Okay that one is amazing."

"I know! I'm taking it cause I strongly agree."