Chapter Sixteen

NOT PROOFREAD

Camila

She saw it.

She most definitely saw it.

"Camila," I snapped my head to the seat in front of me only to see Roger holding a crystal glass filled with sparkling cider over the table for me, "To the project blowing up just hours after it's first premier!" He smiled widely as I carefully grabbed the glass before looking over to my right side to see Lauren smiling cutely as she sipped at the sparkling juice.

After my exciting phone call with my mother of just back and forth crying between the both of us, I heard the door downstairs burst open only for Roger's joy to boom through cabin. I almost ran through the door to share my glee with him, but stopped when I heard something clang against the door. I looked on the other side only to find the choker necklace Lauren gave me when we we teens hanging on the doorknob.

It felt like the world around me fell apart.

I didn't even have enough time to fall into an embarrassed distress because Roger ran up the stairs to tell me about how we were flying out to New York immediately to meet up with Oscár, our producers, and representatives from HBO about their possible interest in streaming the film and even getting behind bringing the sequel to life.

"I'm going to see what snacks they've got on the jet," Roger happily went on his way to probably humbly brag about his two talents killing it on one project like he did his whole way through the airport checking.

That just left Lauren and I sitting next to each other in a lingering silence. I just stared at my glass of juice while Lauren seemed to be preoccupied with something on her phone, maybe she wants to avoid me as much as possible now.

She must be angry.

Why would her ex hold on the something from the day she dumped her?

Groaning silently to myself I curled myself up into a ball and looked out the window next to me, "Such an idiot." I mumbled to myself as I looked over the clouds. Trying to just keep to myself for once.

There's no way Lauren would want to be friends with me still-

"You've never been to New York, right?"

I lazily turned my head over on my right shoulder to see Lauren smiling over to me, "Mande?"

She let out a cute little laugh before leaning in closer to me only to have our shoulders touching, I almost jumped out of my seat but was quick to keep my composure, "You've never been to New York, so we should sightsee a bit while we're there." She scrolled through her phone showing me photos from her own album labeled after the city, "Of course there's Central Park. We could probably rent some bikes and get a good quick look around like that. Or walk around. We'll probably be able to catch my favorite little ice cream stand, they have the best mango ice cream. There's also the Morgan Library we could check out-oh there's also Strand bookstore. We could probably see your books at the best seller section."

"You don't have to take me on a tour of the city," I said feeling like a little bit like a of a bother, "You can rest, Lauren. All you've been doing is working."

She'd talked about her music excursion and how she'd basically been at the cabin for a while before the film festival even happened. All she'd been doing is working.

Plus...I don't know if I'd want to sightsee with one of music's biggest names right now.

Lauren looked up at me from her slouched position and rested her phone on her lap, "Sorry." She cleared her throat before sitting back up straight and looking straight head, "I didn't mean to push you into it. You must be tired too."