Chapter Seventeen

NOT PROOFREAD

Lauren

"Don't you think it's crazy that somehow you guys found your way back to each other?" Malcom asked me as we were sat outside of a small cafe where'd we'd gotten some food in before the party.

Ariana had texted him awhile ago saying she'd order food so we didn't have to rush back to the apartment. Malcom was convinced that Ariana was keeping us away so we couldn't see their outfits. I agreed that Ariana likes a reveal. And for Camila I doubt she'd even want to go to the party. I'll just go say hi to everyone and take us back to the hotel. Can't have both of us up late before the big meeting.

I took a swig of water before gathering my words, "We all did." I said while gesturing between us, "I don't think it's that crazy."

Malcom gave a cheeky smile before crossing his arms and sitting back, "No-but come on! Don't you think it's so fucking crazy that the woman you spent so long looking for is now right in front of you?"

I shook my head as I looked over to the busy street, immediately turning back to Malcom once some people seemed to start recognizing me. "I gave up looking for her." I stated remembering how once I got clean I gave up a lot more things than just drinking and weed.

"And like fucking magic what you stopped looking for happened!" He exasperated while looking completely bewildered by the thought of all of this. "Like come on, LJ! That's insane!"

The waitress came over to leave a huge slice of blueberry cheesecake Malcom had ordered seemed amused by our conversation and I just gave her an awkward smile before looking over to him, "You're going to gather a crowd with the way you're preaching about this miracle."

He laughed while heartedly as I watched his cheeks turn a light pink as I must've noticed all the eyes now on us in the seating area of this cafe, "Okay you can't lie to me and say you didn't feel something lift from your shoulders when you saw her again."

I thought back to the moment I opened the door to the conference room and saw her sitting there. Everything stopped. I remember my breath leaving me within an instant. I could hear anything else around me.

Except for my heartbeat.

It felt different.

Like it started up again.

I shook my head again before trailing my eyes over the crumbs left on my plate, "Things can't just go back." I mumbled to myself while I saw Malcom looking at me puzzled, "I...I can't just fall back into those feelings so easily."

Malcom clicked his tongue while shaking his head, "And why not?"

"Huh?"

"What's so wrong with falling back in love with Camila?"

I almost sent the table flying from the way the shock got sent through me "I-what-I never said anything about-"

Malcom looked at me amusedly, "Ariana use to tell me about how you two always looked at each other in way that made it seem like nothing else was around you guys. When you walked in with her...I saw it." His smile grew slowly while I felt my face flaming up, "You looked at her like she was the only thing that mattered in this world."

"I-I was just worried about her. I didn't want to put her through anything that..." I let myself go silent once I realized how I'd been acting.  I groaned lowly to myself while running my hands through my hair, "Ugh...okay...I just...I don't want to scare her off again."

On the plane ride I realized how I was practically throwing myself at Camila. The way her eyes darted to every direction while I saw her knuckles turn white from the way she was gripping the armrest, I hated to think I could've been the reason to be setting off some sort of anxiety.