Chapter Thirty-Five

NOT PROOFREAD

Dinah

I don't care for today to be perfect, I just want to end it being yours.

"How are you feeling, Dinah?" I looked through the reflection of the tri-fold mirror to see the main stylist, Violet, coming back probably from checking on her other half of her beauty team with Normani.

I've been awake since five this morning trying to prepare myself for this. Not that I really slept, I tossed and turned feeling so bothered at the absence of Normani by my side. While Normani and I didn't find any of the traditional concepts of marriage all that important-our friends did. Last night when we were all heading to bed Lucy and Catalina stepped in front of our bedroom door to tell us they we each were taking one of their rooms for ourselves. Normani laughed saying that all of that wasn't necessary while I was honestly ready to tackle one of them from keeping me from a good sleep. Lauren must've noticed my growing irritation as she stepped in to tell me that they just wanted us to have good luck for tomorrow.

It took a lot within me to tell my friends that I didn't give two shits about luck, especially within my own life, but I kept it to myself when Normani squeezed my hand before telling me it'd make the day more exciting. Rolling my eyes I grumpily agreed before she left me with a kiss. Normani really stuck to her word too because when I went to go look for her in the morning she was out of the rental house. A note on her bed directed towards me saying that she knew I wouldn't be able to stay away so she decided to head out to see her sisters when she woke up. Sitting down on the bed I sighed reading over how she couldn't wait to marry me.

I looked myself over in the mirror feeling my skin buzzing, "The day could go by a little faster..." I said my voice slowly growing quieter as I realized how anxious I was to just get this done. My eyes trailed over the Queen Anne neck-lined wedding dress with sheer rose accented laced sleeves, the trim was so long that they had to lie it out towards the doors, and I was dreading having to put on my heels once I stepped off this podium. My makeup was done to make me look flawless in the most natural way, it was hard to believe my own reflection when I looked like an airbrushed model on a cover. My hair was pulled back into a bun that left some strands out just perfectly with bejeweled clips. "I'm...kind of still in denial that this isn't a daydream right now." That got the beauty team Catalina hired for us to laugh as they put the finishing touches, "My bad y'all I swear I'm funner than that any other day."

Violet pushed her flawless chilled white hair over her shoulders as she smiled my way and looked back through the mirror to meet my gaze, "It feels surreal?"

"Very," I nodded my head bringing my hand up as I looked over my engagement ring, "I'm also just...ready to get this over with." I huffed letting my shoulders relax as everyone on the team cooed over me saying that everything was going to go smoothly. "It's funny when I was younger I thought about this day a lot and never realized till now that it isn't like some fantasy story at all. At all. It's much more stressful and really just feels like I'm putting on a performance for everyone else."

"My sister told me the same thing at her wedding," one of the hair dressers with the prettiest healthy looking blonde hair said, "She was so stressed about it everyone else having a good time she forgot about herself."

I nodded my head, "All that's going through my head is what everyone else will think and I know I shouldn't be, but had I known I would've just eloped. We wanted to anyway."

Violet smiled, "Your parents talked you guys into this ceremony?"

I sighed nodding my head careful to not mess with the adjustments, "Normani insisted we let them do the work since we were both busy with our careers, and at first it was nice. Until all the choices came. And when I chose something it wasn't traditional enough or pretty enough. Really the only thing I picked was my dress and where I wanted it."