Chapter One

Camila
I try to go everyday without thinking of you.

It had been hard to go through life knowing I left something that made my heart feel complete behind. Now each day that I wake up there's a lingering feeling of hollowness in my chest. There'll be this unexplainable ache of pain that comes to me throughout my days and nights. Some times it'll be triggered by the things I'd see that would remind me of the past or just whenever I thought my mind was free, it would strike me down again. Grabbing at my ankles to drag me so far down that I'll be consumed by it.

"Mija," I jumped up from my desk and looked away from the screen of my laptop to look out the doors of my study. The slow steps of someone coming closer only for me to see it was my mother with a mug in hand, "I made you your favorite." She told me with a smile that made me forget about the pain for a split second. She walked over to place the mug of hot mocha on a sunflower themed coaster I'd gotten from my aunt through the mail for my birthday. "Are you hungry?" She asked me as her eyes wandered to the scene in front of me.

I let out a calm sigh as I turned back to notice I was already ten pages into the fifteenth chapter of the third book of a series I'd been writing. Along with another window open from when I'd been going over the screenplay I'd been sent earlier. "I swear I'm not gonna bury myself in this again." I reassured my mother as I looked up to her again to see her surprised. Probably didn't think I'd know she was worried for me. "I'll be going out more now with the project going on," I told her with a weak laugh while standing up from my pleather tan chair, "I'll be getting out of the house."

She furrowed her brow while I grabbed for the mug and made my way out of the study to make my way to the other side of the house towards the kitchen. My mother following behind me as she spoke up, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

She asked me while I stopped in front of the white tiled staircase with black railings to turn back to her, "Mami." I sighed while continuing my way into the kitchen to see my big little sister leaning against the island while tapping away at her brand new smartphone. "I'm sure."

"Kaki," Sofi said while looking away from her phone to meet my eyes, "When you're going to the city can I go with you?"

I hummed as I placed the mug on the counter and went to open the fridge's doors, "In the weekend sure."

Sofi squealed happily while I rolled my eyes knowing she'll probably convince me into getting her some new clothes and going to pastry shops. Our mother cleared her throat and we turned to see her with her arms crossed and scowl, "You can't just keep spending so recklessly."

I took out three eggs and a tomato to place on the counter before making my way to the cabinets to get a cutting board, "It's okay, Mami. I'm working hard in order for us to not worry about that kind of stuff anymore. So what if Sofi wants to buy clothes, they're just clothes." I shrugged while Sofi smiled widely.

"I still think you taking this deal was very unplanned-"

Finding the cutting board I walked back to take the tomato and start cutting it up, "I spoke about it with a lawyer. We looked through it together and she agreed it seemed pretty great honestly. I was already finishing the sequel and planning the third one when Mina contacted me about publishing my story. They wanted three books, and I just so happen to have them. And well the movie deal was honestly just kinda a miracle." I said baffled while Sofi nodded her head in agreement.

"You're okay with this story being out there for the world to read and see?" She asked me and I knew it was coming from a place of love.

"Yes, Mami. It's okay." I told her while looking over to my little sister, "Hey you- warm me up some tortillas will you?" I asked her while smiling keenly.