Chapter Twenty-Four

NOT PROOFREAD

Lauren

I hated what ifs. Only because it left this kind of unsettling and longing for daydreams of a life that never happened.

"I mean really," I looked up from the green grass to see Normani holding on to an embarrassed Dinah's hand as she looked my way, "What came over y'all to have a match here? Not that it wasn't amazing, but definitely not something I had expected."

I let out a laugh before nodding my head over to Dinah, "She was trying to wake me up. I came home from work so exhausted that I just wanted to sleep."

"Good on you babe," Normani laughed before pulling Dinah in and pecking her forehead, "Definitely was the right thing then. Do you know how hard it is to wake you up when you actually sleep?"

I scoffed before crossing my arms over my chest, "I am not that bad."

"Oh you are," Dinah laughed softly as she wrapping her arms around Normani's waist and my best friend wrapped an arm around her shoulder, "Lauren-Trixie use to yap in your face when we'd send her to wake you up."

"What," I said completely shocked trying to imagine that, "When was this?"

"Many times," they both said together before falling into a laugh, "Trixie was braver than all of us to get you out of bed, but she couldn't. You'd just mumble go to your moms and of course being the perfect little Angel she is-would listen and head back down. Then you'd fall right back." Dinah continued as she looked over to see said pit chasing the kids around.

"I talk in my sleep?"

"Oh girl," Dinah rolled her eyes, "You scream in your sleep." Normani squeezed her shoulder and I could see Dinah now regretting what she'd said, "Sorry. We know about the nightmares you've had."

I brought my hand up to the back of my neck, "I thought no one noticed." I said lowly trying to push down the embarrassment that came over me.

"Laur," I looked up to see Normani looking at me concerned, "Of course we do. We're your friends. We care about you."

I smiled weakly before I let my eyes trail off to the top of the back patio space to see Ariana and Camila talking calmly. Both of them facing each other as I admired the way the sun made Camila glow. Pink was definitely a good color for her.

"And as your friend I have to ask," Normani said before I looked back to see them both looking at me with interest, "How they hell do you still play the same way from high school?"

I felt a smile come back to my lips before putting my hands on my hips to stand proudly, "I've been seeing a trainer in my free time. She's been wonders for my stamina. She'd recommended we should try doing games like that between her and I since it would be easy for my body to fall back into old habits-or at least old reflexes. She isn't as tough as Dinah though." I said thinking back to my first shot, "I had the element of surprise on my side and I used it." I told them as I brought my arms up and motioned them in the way I had scored.

"I mean to get four shots past me is beyond impressive," Dinah said before a smirk came on her lips, "But I told your ass you weren't gonna get five."

I waved her off before remembering the bet we'd made, right. I brought my hand up to clasp Normani's free shoulder and smile her way, "You're getting a lambo by the way. Think of it as an engagement present."

Normani blinked a few times before looking between Dinah and I, next thing I know she jumped out of both our grasps to look at us like we were crazy, "I'm sorry what were the words that just came out of your mouth?"