Chapter 3

I was supposed to be met with a pitch black void, or a bright white light once I died. So, why don't I see it? Why don't I see anything? This isn't what I imagined it'd be like. What's going on?

My eyes suddenly shot open and I was met with bright lights on a ceiling. This... isn't... I let my eyes adjust to the light fully then began looking around. I'm in... a hospital? Wait... why am I in a hospital?! I'm supposed to be dead! I began panicking and trying to sit myself up on the hospital bed I was in. I was so weak, I could barely lift my own body weight. In the process of freaking out I must've ripped out my IV because a machine beside me suddenly started beeping rapidly. I heard the door swing open and footsteps quickly approaching me. I turned my head quickly at the noise and my eyes widened. There were 3 doctors who were now in my room trying to calm me down and try to get the needle back into my arm.

They must've given me a sedative in the mix of everything because soon after they came in I passed out.

I woke up again later, I don't know how much later, but I'll figure that out soon. That's not important right now. I was much more drowsy this time around, though. I heard quiet noises to the left of me this time as well. I slowly turned my head to the location of the sounds and spotted my Mom sitting in the chair beside my bed. I then noticed that she was holding onto my hand. "Mom..." I quietly said as I squeezed her hand. She must've noticed that because she started to stir in her sleep. She opened her eyes and they immediately caught mine.

"Oh, Izuku honey!" She cried and quickly pulled me into a hug. "Careful, Mom..." I mumbled into her shoulder as I returned the hug. After a few moments she pulled back. "Okay I'm going to go get a doctor, I'll be right back, okay honey?" She asked as she stood up from her seat. I gave her a small smile and nodded to her. She gave me a small smile back and quickly made her way out of the room to get a doctor.

After she turned the corner I looked down at my hands. My arms were bandaged and I had multiple wires connected to my arms. I gently touched the bandages on my left arm and winced. "It hurts... it wasn't supposed to hurt..." I whispered to myself. I sighed and leaned my head back against my pillow and closed my eyes.

Dammit. I can't do anything right.

After a few minutes my mom came back in with a doctor right behind her. At least this time I'm not freaking out. My mom sat back down beside me and held my hand while the doctor explained my condition. I shouldn't be in any kind of condition. I should be dead right now. But no. I just had to screw it up. I thought to myself as I mostly tuned out what the doctor was saying.

"We still need to do some tests on him to make sure that there aren't any other problems. Once that is done, he can be discharged. We'll monitor him until the morning, then he can go home." The doctor stated. That's the only part I really paid attention to. Seriously... I have to stay here until tomorrow. Sigh. The doctor soon left me with my mom. I turned to her to see her looking at me with tears in her eyes.

"Mom?" I asked. Although for the most part, I knew what was wrong. How could I not. It's my fault she's sad. But now she has to worry about me not trying to kill myself again... which is just great. Why can't things just work out for once? I asked myself.

"Izuku... why..." She paused, trying to hold back her tears. "...why did you do it?" She continued. My eyes widened. "I'm so sorry..." I replied. She just pulled me into another hug and cried into my shoulder as I rubbed her back to try and calm her down.

"It's okay, Mom. I'm here..." I reassured her. Even though I shouldn't be here, I'm here. I thought.  We stayed like that for a few more minutes until she pulled away and wiped her eyes.

"Hey, Mom?" I asked. She looked at me and replied, "Yes, honey?" "What time is it? And what day is it?" I continued. She gave a light chuckle. "It's been 2 days since... what happened." The tears started coming back, making her pause her words. "The other day when you first got here, they did surgery to stitch up your wounds because they were so deep... you were asleep the rest of the day." She continued.

"Oh." I quietly said, nodding my head. "They told me you had woken up earlier today, but they had to give you a sedative to make you go back to sleep because you wouldn't calm down." She then said. I quietly laughed. "Yeah..." I sighed, leaning my head back against my pillow and shutting my eyes for a moment.

"You know... I was really worried about you. I couldn't understand... why you had done it." She starts with a slight crack in her voice. I remained in the same position with my eyes closed. She continued, "But... I know that you're going to get better." She said semi-sternly. "I'm going to get you a therapist once you're all healed. So... I'm hoping that will help." My eyes shot open at that. I have to go to therapy?! Great... I mean, I get it... but still. I looked at her for a moment. "You know it's best." She stated, matter-of-factly. I looked down at my lap. "Yes... I know..." I replied.

*The next morning

The next morning I woke up bright and early, excited to just get the hell out of here. I felt much more energized today than I did yesterday, so that's good. My mom decided to go back to our house last night to get some spare clothes for me to change into while I was sleeping. My mom is currently on her phone and we're just waiting for the doctor to come in and discharge me. I looked over to my mom for a few moments then looked down to her phone. My eyes widened.

"Mom?" I asked. She looked up from the screen, "Yes honey?" She replied. "Where's my phone?" I answered. "Oh, it's in the car. When we leave it'll be in your seat." She replied. "Oh. Okay. Thanks." I said. "Of course, honey." She said.

I looked back down to my lap in thought. I completely forgot... I texted Kacchan. I wonder what he said. I furrowed my brows. He probably didn't say anything... not like he would care. I concluded.

*Two hours later

It's now 10AM and I'm finally getting discharged from this place. The doctor came in a few minutes ago saying that we were free to go and then left shortly afterwards. Since I haven't used my legs in a few days, I stumbled once I stood up for the first time. Eventually, though, I got the hang of it and walked into the bathroom in my hospital room to change.

On our way out of the building, I received more gauze and bandages for my arms. Not like I'd need it. I told myself, because I have plenty of rolls of bandages at home. Either way, we left the hospital and made our way to the car. My mom unlocked the car and as I opened the door I saw not only my phone, but a piece of paper under it laying in my seat. Shit. The note. I thought as I quickly grabbed my phone along with the note and sat down in my seat. My mom started the car as I buckled my seatbelt and anxiously stared at my hands, which were holding my phone. I remembered that I powered my phone off right after I sent the message, so I'd have to turn my phone back on to see if I even got a reply.

I contemplated turning my phone on in the car, but I decided to wait until we got home.

That was one stress-filled car ride.