Chapter 22

October 30th

I'm kind of losing my mind.

The more time I spend on my own, taking notes, getting lost in my own thoughts, my mind wanders to my mom. It wasn't like this before. I was worried about her, sure, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

But now, all of a sudden... I just feel the urge to see her again. I need to see how she's doing. Make sure she's doing alright, whatever to just take my mind off of it so I can focus again.

I'm in a nearby town to Musutafu, I could go there so easily. It's so risky... it hasn't even been a year yet. I've been laying low, making sure I didn't do anything too irrational... but I just have to do this one thing.

And so I went back to my old town.

It's been 8 months and 11 days since I left, and now I'm coming back. I never thought that would happen.

It was late in the afternoon, so it would begin to get dark within the next hour or so. I made sure to stay behind buildings, with my hood up, out if people's sight the whole way there.

To my moms house.

It was getting cold, the sun was beginning to set as I approached my old house. Memories.

Memories came flooding into my mind, I had to force the tears from falling down.

Maybe this wasn't a good idea... I should've have come back...

I was debating on leaving, but then I heard the front door open. I quickly hid behind a nearby bush as I watched my mom close the door behind her and start walking down the sidewalk. Where's she going at this time of day? I wondered.

I decided to follow her.

I was a decent distance away from her, I kept my hood up and my head down to make sure she wouldn't see me. This feeling has been eating me up inside for the last few days, I just needed to see her again.

Even if it was the last time...

After about 15 minutes of waking, we came across a graveyard. Oh...

This makes sense.

I hid behind a tree and crouched down as I watched her kneel in front of a gravestone, presumably mine. My heart ached in the confines of my chest as I watched her begin to cry, begin to sob as she held onto the stone that had my name engraved in it.

Just looking at the scene in front of me made me want to cry.

It hurt so much... seeing my mom in so much pain. I knew my decision would hurt her, I jus didn't think I'd have to see her hurting. I wanted to run up to her and hug her, cry with her, tell her everything was okay, that I was alive, that I would take care of her...

But I couldn't.

It hurt too much, knowing that I couldn't. I couldn't take it anymore.

So I left.

I left the graveyard, and walked back to my old house. I reminisced over the memories I had with her in that house, and continued walking. I left Musutafu, and went back to the town I was in before I came here. I found my way back to the abandoned building I've been staying in, and set my back down on the concrete. I slid down against the wall, held my knees with my arms, and laid my head in between them.

I cried myself to sleep that night.

Sometimes I wish I could just flip a switch, and I won't have to deal with feelings or emotions anymore. It would make thing so much easier, don't you think?
.
.
.
The next morning I woke up, my head pounding in my skull. Damn headaches... why do they exist again?? I sighed, standing up and taking my backpack with me. I slid on my gloves, pulled my hood up, and left the building I had been sleeping in for the past few days. In a couple days, I'll move over to the town closest to this one, and repeat the process I've been doing for the past couple months.

Oh yeah, it's Halloween today, isn't it? Tonight's gonna be fun, I bet.

I'm sure I'll run into a few criminals.

Also, I did upgrade my costume. The hoodie was nice while it lasted, but it needed to change. Now that I look back at it, the bunny ears were kinda childish, no? Anyways, I had the money for it, I knew what I eventually wanted my costume to look like, so I did it.

Now, when I go out and do my vigilante work, I'll be wearing a black dress shirt with a black tie, and a viridian corset vest over top of it. It gives the outfit more detail, and it looks cool. It's not too tight, so I can still move around freely while wearing the vest.

Besides... I have curves, why not show them off for fun? If anyone tries to do anything, I can simply punch them. :)

I have simple black pants to go along with the top, and I kept my black combat boots. They've held up well, considering how long I've had them. I'm glad I bought them, they're really nice quality and they're comfortable to run and fight in. I still have gloves, but they've changed a bit. I had most of my costume customized. The corset vest was customized, as well as the gloves. I still have my hoodie, so I can wear that on top of ny outfit if I need to hide my face. My mask is now more durable, and slightly bigger so it covers more of my face for when I'm not wearing my hood.

Pretty neat, if I do say so myself.

I can't wait to show it off tonight.
.
.
.
It's a little past 10pm now, and not too long ago I changed into my new and improved vigilante costume, and began patrolling the streets. I have my mask on, so it covers the bottom half of my face. My hair shows, but it's dark out so it doesn't matter too much. Maybe I should dye it... I thought.

Black would look good.

I'll patrol until everyone goes back to their houses, and probably a bit after that. I'll probably stay out until 1-2am. I had two coffees  total today, so I'll be fine in terms of getting tired.

So, now, I'm walking along the sidewalk as I watch small crowds of people running around in costumes, going from house to house and getting high on candy.

What a fun holiday.