Chapter 23

After about an hour of patrolling, I came across an alleyway and I could here quiet talking coming from it. I leaned against the building, trying to get a better concept of what was happening. Listening closer, I could hear a man, probably within his 20-30's, and a girl, much younger, softly crying. My eyes widened upon hearing what the man was saying, and frantically started looking around for some sort of weapon to use. I didn't have my backpack on me, as it was left back at the building I've been sleeping in. I had my knives on me, but I wasn't going to use them if it wasn't necessary.

I found a metal rod on the ground nearby, and went around the building so I could come at the man unnoticed. I snuck up behind him, the girl not seeing me as she was facing the wall, being held against it by the man.

I got a bit closer, and in one swift movement, I hit the man in the back of the head with the pole, ultimately knocking him to the ground. I made sure not to kill him, just to knock him out for a bit. I dropped the pole immediately after, and slowly approached the shaking girl to make sure she was okay.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, worried. My voice was altered by my mask, which I took off so that I sounded my age once again. I didn't want to come off as another older man, I didn't want to scare her anymore than she already was. I didn't want to touch her, because I didn't want her to be scared of me.

She was still facing the wall, but her breathing had evened out a bit, and she wasn't shaking anymore. She seemed calmer now. She sniffled, before turning around to face me. She had tears in her eyes, clearly still slightly overwhelmed with what had just happened.

Um just glad I got here in time before the situation escalated.

She nodded, wiping her tears away with her sleeve.

"T-thank you... for saving m-me.." she stuttered.

"Of course, it's my job... it was no problem." I replied, quietly. "Can I touch you? I-is that okay? I promise I won't hurt you, I just want to make sure you're okay..." I asked softly. She simply nodded and I gently put my hands on her shoulders, to which she flinched.

"It's okay, he's knocked out cold." I reassured her. She visibly relaxed in my hood, and and I looked her over for any injuries just in case she had any. I was also able to get a better look at her face because it was so dark out, she looked about the same age as me.

"C-can I... can I hug you?" She asked, barely above a whisper. I was surprised. I didn't know why she'd want to hug me, but nevertheless, I nodded. After she got confirmation, she immediately wrapped her arms around my neck and silently cried into my shoulder. Again, I was shocked for a moment, but hesitantly hugged her back, making sure I didn't hold too tight.

I haven't hugged anyone in so long... it felt nice.

After a few moments, she pulled away. "What's your name?" I asked, still having one hand placed on her shoulder comfortingly.

"U-Uraraka... Ochaco Uraraka." She replied. She had short brown hair with matching brown eyes. Her cheeks were unusually pink, but they suited her. "Would you mind me asking what school you go to? You have to live around here, and I can walk you home if you'd like... I'm sure you're still a bit paranoid." I asked. I didn't want to pry, but I at least wanted her to feel safe. I didn't want her walking home alone at this time of night anyways. It looked like she was just minding her own business before the incident. She wasn't wearing a costume or anything.

"I go to U.A High School... and- y-you really don't have to do that. I-I'll be fine on my own, I'm sure..." she replied, waving her hands in front of her face in a dismissive manner. My eyes widened once she mentioned U.A. I wasn't gonna bother her about it, but maybe I can keep tabs on her. Maybe I can get information from her later on down the road. I don't need to know much about U.A itself, just the teachers that work there, and what Bakugo's been up to.

I want to know if he's changed at all. I mean, I'm not in his life anymore. What was the result of me leaving? How did it affect him?

I would just love to know.

"No, it's no problem really. The last thing I want is for something else to happen while you walk home. I just want to make sure you get there safely." I said, almost in a pleading tone. What I was saying was true. I really wanted to make sure she was safe. She's my age, she-or anyone for that matter- doesn't deserve to be targeted like that.

"A-alright..." she muttered, and turned to walk away, but I stopped her before she could go too far. I still had to take care of the pervert that was passed out on the ground.

I called the cops and told them the location, and hung up. The guy just needed to go to jail, there's no way that she was his only target. I didn't need the cops all over me anyways. The cops would just stress the poor girl out more, and I sure as hell didn't want that either. So, after I called the cops, Uraraka and I made our way out of the alleyway and began walking towards wherever she lived.

She lead the way, obviously.

After around 15 minutes, we stopped outside of a fairly small house, and she turned to face me.

"Thank you again... for saving me back there..." she said sheepishly. I smiled softly, "No problem. It's my goal after all, to make sure everyone is safe and feels safe." I replied, rubbing the back of my neck. I couldn't say I was a hero, because technically, that would be a lie. And I couldn't tell her I was a vigilante, because, well, it's illegal. Technically speaking.

It's stupid, really. But it is what it is.

"Right... by the way, what's your name? Or- what do you want me to call you?" She asked, looking into my eyes with a curious look. I smiled brighter than before.

"Crimson-Viridity. But you can call me Viridity for short." I replied. She nodded, softly smiling back. "It suits you." She said, before turning and walking up to the door of the house.

"I hope to see you again, Viridity. I'm sure you'll make a great hero." She said, before walking into the house and closing the door behind her.

Yeah.

I hope so.