Chapter 12

As expected, I woke up around 3 in the morning. It was slightly chilly and it was completely quiet. It was peaceful. I decided to walk around a bit to see if there were any 24 hour stores. I checked my phone, it's at 53% now... maybe I can find a store or a restaurant that has outlets. I brought my charger with me, I just need an outlet. Luckily, I found a gaming store that was open, and went inside. It had all sorts of video games, controllers, consoles, even roller skates and skateboards. I walked up to the guy standing behind the desk. "Hey, you got any outlets I can use to charge my phone?" I asked. "Yeah, man. Right over there." The man said, pointing towards a wall by the front window, that surely enough, had an outlet. "Thanks." I said. I walked over to the outlet and set my bag down. I took out my charger and plugged it into my phone, and plugged the other end into the wall. I set my phone on top of my bag and stood up. Might as well look around, since I have nothing else better to do. Besides, I'll be here until my phone charges to at least 85%. I began looking around the store to see if I could find anything worth spending my money on. I don't want to spend too much, but if it's necessary, I'll spend it. I ended up looking at some of the skateboards for a while. I used to skateboard a little as a kid, I'm probably not that great as of now... I thought to myself. One of the boards caught my eye, the pattern was mainly black with green and red splatter paint, with a skull design on it. It looks really cool... I thought. I took it off the rack on the wall to take a better look at it. I looked at the tag, it's $75. Not too bad for a board. I took it up to the check out desk to talk to the guy.

"Is there any chance I could test this out?" I asked the man. "Sure, kid. Knock yourself out. There's actually a small setup out back for practicing, just go through that door there." The man said, pointing to a black door behind him. "Thank you!" I replied. I walked over to the door and opened it. It looked like a skate park, just smaller, less intense jumps.

This is one way to pass the time.

The reason why I'm even looking at a skateboard in the first place, is because of transportation. All this walking makes my legs sore, but if I had a skateboard, not only would I save my legs from all that torture, I'll also be able to get where I need to go faster. It's not like I need to learn a bunch of tricks, just the basics. Then, I'll be able to skate around and get to places faster. Besides, I've always been interested in skating. Like I said earlier, when I was a kid, I owned one of those cruisers and would often ride on it. I wasn't the best, but I was able to ride around on it efficiently. Now, I'm 15 years old with a skateboard, trying to learn to ride it because I ran away from home.

Ironic, right?

There were rails and ramps and divots in the ground everywhere, it honestly looked fun. I might bust my ass for even attempting to ride up a ramp, but the thrill I'll get out of it makes it tempting. I began off to the side of all the chaos, so I wouldn't run into anything or fall in a hole. I still knew the basics, but I can't ride around freely without falling.

And so, for the next couple hours, I spent my time in that skatepark learning how to skate by myself. Fun, right? I must've lost track of time, because the worker came in saying it was 6am now, and if I wanted to continue riding, I had to pay for it.

Time flies when you're having fun, huh?

I stopped what I was doing and went back into the store. I set the skateboard on the counter and went to my bag and pulled the money out to pay for it. I went back over to the counter and handed the guy the money, in which he gave me the skateboard back along with a receipt. I thanked him before walking back over to my bag and putting my charger away with the receipt, unplugged my phone from the wall and put my phone in my bag too. I stood back up and slung the backpack over my shoulders before picking up my new skateboard and walking to the front door. "Have a good day, sir!" I called out before walking out of the store.

I missed the sunrise, but I didn't mind too much.

I decided to try out my skateboard on the sidewalk. As soon as I started rolling down the sidewalk, past all the buildings and houses, I realized I made a good decision buying it. It gives my legs a break, which I've been needing for a while. I just rode around for the next few hours, trying to get used to going at faster speeds and turning and all that. It's honestly really fun.

You should consider trying it.

By the time I took a break from skating to eat and relax for a bit, it was around 11am. It's still so early in the day since I woke up in the middle of the night... I sighed. Now I actually have nothing to do. I sat in thought for a few moments, thinking of what I could possibly do to pass the time. A thought came across my mind and my eyes widened when I realized just what I had thought of.

I want to fight someone.

Not necessarily beat someone up for no reason, but... all of a sudden I'm remembering how I felt when I fought with Illusionist in that alleyway the first time I met him. It was... exciting. It wasn't only self defense, but I was doing it for a good reason. I was fighting a guy who had stolen a purse from an innocent woman that was just going about her day. It felt good to give him what he deserved and give the woman her purse back safe and sound. If I can't be a hero that fights and protects everyone else...

I'll be my own hero and fight for myself.

*I actually really liked writing this chapter because I got to write about skateboarding 🤩hopefully, soon, I'll also be getting my own skateboard and I'll be able to learn how to skate.

Believe it or not, I gained interest in skating because of Sk8 the Infinity 💀 but anime isn't the only reason, I promise.

(If you haven't watched Sk8 yet, I highly recommend it)