Chapter 8

The two had disappeared into the trailer for at least an hour.

Everyone was hovering around the vehicle.

———————
Inside the RV

"You want anything for your neck?" Spencer asked as soon as he closed the door. "Nah, just tell me what happened to my brother." The man said. Sitting down roughly on the bench. "Ok." Spencer complied. He sat down across from the man. "They where up on the roof when they found my group. And while saving them they got surrounded by walkers on virtually all sides. From my understanding Merle was on the roof shooting of rounds while under the influence." Spencer said, pausing to get daryls reaction. The man took a deep breath. "Y'all just left him up there to be eatin." He said.

"That's not the full story." Spencer commented. Daryl sighed and ran a hand over his face before signaling Spencer to continue. "After he was cuffed they came up with a plan of escape. It included a quick getaway no one was expecting. T-dog was in charge of the key but when he tried to unlock the cuffs he tripped and dropped them down a drain." Spencer said softly. Giving Daryl a moment to process the information.

"After that he had not choice but to escape. However in the process he did manage to lock the door to the roof with a padlock and a heavy chain. So the chances of your brother being alive have doubled from roughly 10% to an extremely high 80%." Spencer stated. "It's not a 100." Daryl stated. He sniffed slightly. Spencer nodded.

"I'm just trying to give you all the facts. In all likely good he's probably going to be very drowsy, possibly very weak. Most of that 20% of uncertainty comes from the fact that he was left in a high stakes situation high. Depending on the drug he took he could easily have experienced hallucinations or depressive episodes during his time on the roof." Spencer stated. He kept his eyes on Daryl.

The man shifted again. "Merles always been an asshole but he didn't deserve this." Daryl said. Spencer bit his lip. "I know." He said quietly. He was about to say something else when a knock sounded on the door. Shaking them both out of the depressive atmosphere.

Spencer stood up and quietly opened the door. Where Penelope stood holding a crying Henry. "Hey a know your like super busy and stuff. But Henry hasn't stopped crying since you gave him to me and I don't know what to do." She said panicked. "No problem. We should be almost done soon. I can take him now." Spencer said, carefully grabbing the crying child from her arms.

Daryl watched as the young man rocked the infant, the little ones cries slowly quieting. He nodded to the woman outside the door and carefully closed it before sitting back down.

"Who's that?" Daryl asked quietly. Spencer bit his lip. "This is my godson Henry." Spencer stated. Smiling up at Daryl slightly. Daryl leaned over to look at the baby. "Why can't his momma take him?" He asked softly. Spencer paused slightly. "His mom didn't make the trip." Spencer answered. He voice shook.

Daryl stared at the boy as understanding claimed his features. "Why are you taking care of him?" He asked softly.

"I'm not the only one. I mean, I've got my team. They're pretty much all the family I have." Spencer replied smiling sadly at the boy in his arms. "Ya know his mother was like a sister to me. She was so supportive, and sarcastic, and amazing." Spencer stated tearing up. "I hope he grows up to be just like her." He whispered. He then took a deep breath and wiped his eyes.

"I hope you find him, I really do. I don't want you to know what it feels like to lose a sibling." Spencer said sincerely. He stared into Daryls blue eyes. Daryl stared back. "Ya know, I don't think I'll even be able to mourn her with all the things happening right now." Spencer stated. He was still struggling to keep his tears back.

Daryl stood up. Spencer was expecting him to just leave. However what the archer did next surprised him. Daryl stood next to him and hesitantly put a hand on Spencer's shoulder. Spencer looked up at him.

"M' sorry for your loss." Daryl mumbled. Spencer smiled up at man. Unknowingly making his heart skip a beat. Daryl then cleared his throat and smirked a bit. "And I guess the little guys only kinda ugly." He jibed, obviously trying to lighten the mood.

Spencer stared at the man for a bit before laughing. "Gee, thanks." He said in between giggles. Daryls smirk softeners a bit. And almost turned into a smile.

"Let's get back out there. I'm sure the others are waiting." Spencer said. He turned in his seat and used Daryls shoulder to stand up. He turned to Daryl and smiled a bit before motioning to the door.

"You think you could get that for me?" He asked. Daryl nodded and opened the door for the young man with the baby. "Thanks." Spencer said.

The two walked out and quickly noticed the small audience they had. Spencer turned towards Hotch. "The next course of action should be a plan on how to save Merle." Spencer stated. Rocking the now slightly fussy Henry. "I'll go help them rally up a team. I know Rick and Daryl will go. So I just need to sort them out." Hotch replied.

"And I think you should probably try to feed him again." He said. Glancing down at Henry. "Good idea." Spencer responded. Hotch could tell Spencer was tired. They all where. But with Reid it was probably multiplied by ten. "Get some rest while your at it. Your one of our best, we need you. And when we get a little down time we're gonna talk about your reaction to Shane earlier." Hotch stated. Reid sighed.

"Is it a 'your in trouble' kinda talk?" Reid asked nervously. "No, it's an 'I'm worried about you' kind of conversation." Hotch replied. He put a hand on the boys shoulder. And they shared a look.

————————

A few hours later they where ready to set off. The group that was going consisted of T-dog, daryl, Rick, Glenn, Morgan, and prentis. Hotch wanted to go but decided he should stay back for jack. And Spencer. But he didn't need to know that.

As the group climbed into the truck. They where surrounded by people making sure they said goodbye. Garcia was of course listing all of the things she'd do to punish Morgan if he didn't come back ok. Hotch was telling prentis to not do anything stupid. Rick was hugging his family. And reid tried to help Glenn gain a little confidence.

It was only when Daryl stepped on the horn that they finally pulled apart. They all stepped back as Daryl went and grabbed the handle of the sliding door. He and Spencer made eye contact.

They paused for just a brief second. "I hope you find him." Spencer said. Daryl smiled, just the tiniest bit. "Me too." He said, just slightly softer than normal. The engine started and they met each others eyes just one more time before Daryl closed the door.

This did not go unnoticed by Hotch. He looked between Reid and the truck. As it clicked. "Ahh, so you too have figured it out." Rossi said. Now standing next to Hotch.

"How long do you think it'll take for them to notice?" Rossi asked. Hotch smirked. "I'd say about a month or two." He said. "Care to make it a bet?" Rossi asked.

Why not?