chapter 23

It only took a few minutes to reach the farm. That was good for Sophia's sake. They pulled up to the house in a hurry. Maggie, a blonde woman and Garcia where on the porch looking at the truck in confusion. Daryl flung the door open and yelled to the women on the porch. ''We need help! It's Sophia! Shes hurt bad we need help getting her inside!'' Daryl said. Hotch came outside in that moment and sprinted to the open car door. He ran to the other side and flung it open so he could grab hold of Sophia under her good shoulder. He didnt dare pause to process the scene, immediately going on south pilot. Daryl had a hold of her legs and Prentiss was waiting just outside to help hold up her middle. They carefully but swiftly got her out of the car and carried her to the door of the house. Maggie moved some stuff off the kitchen table and the group quickly placed the girl on it.

The others peaked out of hallway to see what was happening. Spencer paid no mind to them. ''Maggie, do you have any alchohol?'' Spencer asked. the woman nodded and ran up the stairs. ''I need something for a blood transfusion. Hotch get a burner going in the kitchen as fast as you can find something small and metal I need to caurterize these arteries.'' He said, people quickly started branching off to take care of these things. ''If you can spare any surgical needles and thread I need those too. if not get me a sewing kit and douse it in alcohol.'' Spencer ordered Hershel. "We have men coming any second with more medical supplies." He said. Still going through the supplies on hand. "We might not have a few minutes." Spencer said.

Maggie came back a few moments later with  a bottle of rubbing alchol and a bottle of vodka. Spencer grabbed the rubbing alchohol and quickly poured it over the wound. Hotch and the blonde woman came back at around the same time. Hershel took over pinching the arteries and Spencer knelt down and carefully singe them closed one by one. ''You have medical knowledge?'' Hershel asked the boy. ''A little.'' Spencer answered quickly. ''Good we need that now more than ever. I wish they'd hurry with those supplies. ''we definatly need them.'' He said quietly. They then looked at eachother as spencer pulled away. He gave the older man a nod. Slowly, the older man realeased the arteries. Then they both realised a breath when no blood came squrting out. ''Im a match to her blood type. Draw some from me. Im not continuing till she gets some more blood in her.'' Spencer said. The small group in the kitchen nodded. Hotch then lead the young man out of the kitchen to the living room. Practically catching the young man as he fell into the chair.

Penelope was in the corner of the room with Lori. they where looking at the young man with concern. Daryl was out next to him aswell. He knelt down by Spencer's side and put a hand on his shoulder when the blonde woman from before started drawing blood. ''When morgan gets here tell him to get his blood drawn too. He's also a match.'' Spencer said quietly. The people in the room gazed at the young geniuse in worry. He looked extremely tired. "Where's Rossi?" He asked quietly. "He went out a little while after Otis and Shane did. He said he wanted to be there in case they needed some backup." Hotch replied. Spencer looked up in shock.

"You let him go out there alone?" He asked worriedly. Hotch gave Spencer a meaningful look. Spencer just nodded.

The woman pulled the needle out and right when Spencer was about to stand up the RV and another smaller truck pulled into the driveway. The group thats been handling the medical stuff went out and talked to shane then came back inside and rushed to carls room. Hotch took this moment of distraction to fill Daryl and Spencer in on why Rossi actually follows them. "Shane's been acting strange. So I sent Rossi out to keep an eye on him. He was given strict instructions to stay away and only interfere if some can be saved. Looking at it now, Otis isn't here. Something happened and I'm going to make sure Shane gets caught." Hotch said to them. The two looked at each other and nodded.

"There's something you should know as well but for right now I think we have other things to focus on." Spencer replied.

Spencer then stood up and Hotch followed him to where the others where shuffling through the duffle bags of medical supplies. Spencer quickly grabbed a sryinge, and some fentanyl, along with bandages, medical tape, gauze, seuters, and of course rubbing alchole and anti-biotics.

He rushed into the kitchen and quickly got to work with the careful process of sewing the little girls arms closed.

-----------------------------

It was only a few hours later when the house went totally quiet. Spencer was washing the blood off his hands next to Hershel. The two procedures where sucessful but that didnt stop the two men from feeling totally drained. ''I believe in all the chaos I didnt quiet catch your name.'' Hershel said. Spencer looked at the man for a second before registering what he was saying. ''Oh, sorry, my names Spencer Reid.'' the young man replied. Hershel nodded.

"How's your patient doing Spencer?" Hershel asked. The young man sighed. "I'm not sure. Her heart beat got pretty slow for a while there. And I might need to find a way to get some food into her. There's still a risk of her falling into a comma. And I'm not sure if I can really do anything else for her." Spencer ranted slightly. Hershel nodded.

Then he put a hand on the young mans shoulder. "There are a lot of things we don't have control over in this life. But what matter is that there is a little girl laying bed in the next room that is still breathing because you did everything you could do. And that's worth a lot more than I think you'll ever know." Hershel said to him. Spencer gave the man a tired smile.

"Thanks. I should go check on some of the others." He said. Standing up a little straighter. "I think you should get some sleep. The couch is open to ya if you need it." Hershel said. Spencer gave him a thankful look and walked into the living room. Morgan, Daryl,  garcia, and Hotch where all sitting there. As well as a worried maggie and Patricia. The blonde woman from before.

Spencer sat down next to Daryl and closed his eyes for a few seconds. He wanted to sleep but he knew that wasn't going to happen tonight. So he opened his eyes. "Where's everyone else?" He asked quietly. Morgan looked up. "Andria, Dale, T-dog, and glenn are in the camper. Lori and Rick are up with Carl, carols with Sophia. Shane's outside doing god knows what. And Rossi is still out." Morgan listed off. Spencer nodded tiredly.

"Hey, whatever you need to talk about can wait till morning. You need to sleep." Hotch told the man. Spencer nodded a bit. The others stood up to leave. Maggie and Patricia going to there rooms. Garcia stood up with Henry and Spencer caught her. "Hey you think you could leave Henry with me tonight? I really just want him to stay close." Spencer said. "Of course my little cinnamon roll. You don't even have to ask. He has three bottles in the fridge. And his diaper bag is by the counter." Garcia said. Spencer smiled a bit and held the sleeping boy close. "Oh and since we don't have a crib we made one out of the cardboard box over there. He loves it." Garcia added.

"Thank you Penelope." Spencer stated. Garcia smiled sadly. She knew how heart felt that statement was. "Anytime." She said. Then she walked out the door.

Spencer sat down and sighed. Then glanced over to Daryl as he stood up. "You want some space?" Spencer asked him. "Not from you." He said quietly. "You want me here?" Daryl questioned again. "Yeah." Spencer replied plainly. Daryl nodded and sat down in the recliner next to the couch. Spencer lay back on arm rest and held Henry to his chest.

Daryl watched as the young man slowly fell asleep. When he was sure the two where passed out he went to the kitchen and grabbed the baby bed. Then some blankets out of the closet. He set the blankets down and gently scooped Henry out of Spencer's arms and put him to bed. Then he covered Spencer with the blankets.

He was knelt down next to Spencer's head. He couldn't help but watch Spencer peaceful expression. It was tenge calmer Daryl had ever seen the boy. He made himself a promise to protect this man. With everything he has. Then he leaned in and pressed a kiss to the boys lips.

He walked back to the recliner and fell asleep to the sound of Spencer's soft breathing.