chapter 16

it was only a few hours later that spencer woke up and decided he needed something to drink. he walked out to the main kitchen area and grabbed a glass of water. the kitchen floor was cold and he wanted to finish it before someone came out and saw him in daryls clothes. that was until he saw the eflection of red numbers in the glass windows at the end of the room. he had a horrible feeling.

he set his glass down and slowly krept to the large computer room at the end of the hall. this is the CDC building. thats a countdown. the building is going to be destroyed. spencer whipped around to the door and ran to it only for it to slam closed in his face.

''I knew you'd figure it out soon.'' said dr. Jenner from behind him. spencer whipped around. ''You realize your about to kill all these people right?'' spencer asked. ''I'm not killing them, I'm saving them from the horrers outside.'' he said quietly. ''Your not saving anyone. Its a delusion. You cant do this its not right we have children. I have a child.'' spencer tried to reason. ''I know.'' he replied again. the young man could feel the panic trying to set in. he turned around and started yelling.

''HELP, PLEASE.GET OUT OF HERE! THE BUIL-mff.''spencer was inturuptted by a cloth hitting his mouth. he tried his best to struggle and hold his breath.But it wasnt working and soon he felt his eyes start to close.

then there was nothing

------------------------

daryl woke up around half an hour later and knew right off the bat that spencer wasn't on the couch with him. his heart sunk. had spencer left when daryl fell asleep because he couldnt stand him? was he really that bad?

the huner shook off his anxieties. spencer probably just had to piss. the man waited a few more minutes until he decided to go looking for the awkward agent. who knows he might be lost. so the man walked to the kitchen and saw the half drank glass on the counter. ''Spencer! ay Spencer you round' here?'' daryl called out quietly. He heard some muffled shouts and bangs from down the hall and rounded the corner into the computer room. there sat spencer who was tied to a chair, he was gagged and dr. jenner stood infront of him looking like he had just finished tying the poor genius up. spencer looked up at daryl and gave a muffled yell.

daryl quickly ran to the fire alarm and pulled it before jenner could attempt to stop him. there was a slight stand still in the room seconds before the alarm blared out. In mere moments the doctor and the hunter where on the floor, daryl clearly having the upper and. foot steps where soon heard rushing toward them. emily and hotch rushed to the tied up doctor and quickly helped him to his feet. rick and T-dog where still trying to pull the enraged hunter off of the deranged doctor.

The doors slammed closed behind them. daryl ran to the now standing genuise and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. ''you ok?'' daryl asked.''y-yes im fine.'' he answered quitely.

when the group was finally calm enough they looked at the doctor expecting answeres. ''What the hell happened in here?'' dale asked out loud. spencer who was still a bit shaken. ''I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I should've known. its a bomb. he locked us in. Im so sorry'' spencer rambled. daryl stood infront of him like a shield when shane stormed over.

''you knew about this?!'' shane asked enraged. morgan put a hand on shanes shoulder. ''calm down, he passed out right as we walked in remember? he passed out because he was giving his portion of food to the kids. from day one he has done nothing but take care of this group. so you have no right to try and pin the blame on him.'' morgan said firmly.

shane wiped his face. Jenner then turned on the computer. ''few people ever got to see this.'' he turned the computer on to a moving picture of am active brain. ''is that a brain?'' jack asked. ''an extraordinary one.'' jenner said. he was trying to play the part of the playful scientist but obviously failed. ''not that it matters in the end.'' he said bitterly. the screen then changed and spencer eyed it cautiously while keeping half an eye on the clock.

''what are those?'' shane asked. at this point they where just trying to keep the man talking. ''those are nourons.'' he answered. ''this is everything a person is was and will ever be.'' he said quietly.

spencer looked at the screen and muttered. ''hes going to show us the viruses process.''

''doctor reid would be right. this is test subject 19. some one who was bitten and volunteered for testing.'' jenner said. spencer glanced at the clock again. and garcia stepped to the plate. ''ya know thats really cool and all but id kinda like to not be here when the place goes boom.'' she said nervously.

jenner let out an humorless laugh. ''once the count down starts theres no way to override the countdown.'' he said. garcia looked around. ''yeah well not if I can help it. this stuff is childs pay compaired to the pentagon.'' she said. the group turned their attention to the main screen again and watched the lights in the brain turn dark. ''the subject died, turning time varies dramatically from minutes to almost a day.'' jenner said quietly.

spencer saw the red take over the brains stem. ''its bringing the main stem back to life.'' the timer kept getting lower. and the screams of their frightened children could be heard. garcia was still trying to open the doors and people where getting desprate. spencer looked to hotch and carefuly took henry from the mans arms. the baby was crying and he held the boy close to his chest. much like the other parents in the room. he looked at daryl who was despratley trying to slam the door open with the others.

then VI started explaining how the bomb would work and spencer felt his heart nearly stop. ''its going to set the air on fire.'' he said quietly. the group paused. the only thing that could be heard where cries and loud bangs. he looked down to Henry's eyes and just knew. the last thing he wants for this child is to be set on fire from the inside out. slowly he sunk to the floor and let out a few tears for the boy. he was so scared.

''its no use those doors are strong enough to withstand a rocket launcher.'' jenner said. as if he was talking to a young child. daryl glanced over his shoulder and his desperate anger grew when he saw the young genius on the ground clutching henry tightly. daryl sprinted to jenner and held the axe above his head. ''your head aint!'' rick, T-dog and glenn all rushed to hold the man back. ''Look none of us are getting ot f here if we kill him.'' rick said. daryl slammed the axe down and paced the room nervously. he looked pver at spencer and took a deep breath. then he knelt infront the scared young man. ''hey, we need you. ok? keep your cool we're gonna get out of here.'' daryl said. they weren't the most comforting words. but in all honesty they helped. ''first thing we do when those doors open is going to be grabbing the food bag, the baby bag and some shoes for ya. then we get out of here.'' daryl said. it was a simple plan but it gave Spencer's mind something else to race about.

then shane went into a rage, daryl covered spencers body with his own as the crazy man shot at the computers. daryl pulled away from the hug and grabbed the axe again. he was going to keep smashing the door but garcia yelled. ''ok I think Im almost through. get ready.'' daryl stood back and looked back to the stunned group. ''cmon!'' he yelled. rushing through the door. the group rushed to the opening doors. and spencer ran sown the halls with henry in his arms. daryl threw a pair of slip on shoes at him and he threw them on then grabbed the baby bag. daryl grabbed his bow and bag and the two sprinted back down the hall to the computer room. jenner sat there with jacqui and kept rammbling on about the cruelties of the world outside. spencer gave the man one last look and ran out of the room behind daryl to the big glass window.

everyones hope was slowly fading. that was until carol came forward with a grenade. ''rick i have somthng that my help. the first morning at camp I found this in your pocket.'' she said. she handed the granade to rick and everyone ran back a ducked down to avaoid the blast. the glass fell to the ground in pieces and daryl yanked spencer to his feet so they could run out. weapons where in the air as they fought walkers off desprately trying to get to the cars cover in time. spencer threw his door open and ducked inside while daryl started the car. everyone was about to pull out when they paused at the sight of andrea and dale running out of the building. they ducked down behind some bags and spencer was tackled dow by daryl when a large rumble hit their ears.

spencer lifted his head once the heat wave passed and quickly checked on the crying boy in his arms. henry was alive. so was his team, and almost everyone else. they watched the two climb into the two climb into the RV and sighed when the lot of them started moving away from the flaming building. at least 50 walkers had already made their way into the flames.

daryl gave spencer a glance when they made it away far enough. he gently grabbed spencer by the nape of his neck and pressed his lips onto spencers. it didnt last more than two seconds. but it was enough. spencer lay his head down on the mans shoulder and just let himself breath.