chapter 17

Next thing they know their stuck on the highway and low on fuel. Spencer was driving the truck with penelope in the passengers seat for company. Daryl was riding ahead on his motorcycle. ''So hows daryl?'' Penelope asked slyly. Spencer tried to hide his smile. ''He's fine, why do you ask?'' Spencer responded. He was trying to play dumb. ''ooh nothing. Your just totally wearing his clothes, and snuggleing up to him; ohh and the prolonged eye contact.'' Penelope listed off. Spencer smiled.

''Don't tell the group yet, but he kissed me when we where escaping the CDC.'' He said. Penelope squeeled. ''Heat of the moment smooching!'' She said loudly. ''shhhhhh the windows are open!'' Spencer said with a smile. ''oohhhh your thinking about it arent you? Your blushing! OMG your blushing!'' She exclaimed. Spencer was indeed blushing.

Spencer laughed. ''It's like your more excited about it than I am.'' He muttered. Penelope just grinned at him. Spencer however looked out the window and saw daryl gesture to stop. The two looked at each other tensely wondering why they where stopping. Penelope took Henry and the two stepped out of the truck. ''looks like alot of other people had the same idea as us.'' 

They walked down the road and met with the others. Rossi walked up to the duo and started explaining the situation. ''RVs broken down. we're going to go through the cars. Look for things we can use. Siphon fuel, maybe grab some food and... cloths while your at it.'' Rossi said. He glanced over spencers current outfit while the boy smiled sheepishly.

Penelope handed henry to spencer so she could go and find some things she needed, and he set off to find anything useful. He walked around and went through cars with Lori and Carol. ''There's a few cans of food in this car. Can one of you pop the trunk?'' he asked.

''Sure.'' carol replied. He grabbed a few cans of peaches and corn before grabbing some cans of baby food as well. Spencer quickly put it in his bag and moved on. Trying not to dwell on what could have happened to the baby the food belonged to. He searched around some more and found a few peices of clothing that looked like they would fit. he put those in his bag aswell and glanced around. Carol, Lori, and now Penelope where off talking a little ways away from him. The three bigger kids where off exploring a few cars a little bit ahead. Hotch, Rossi, and Morgan where all helping Glenn and Dale with the RV. 

He was going to move to another car when Dale started signaling about seeing something up the road. Spencer looked ahead and saw the hoard of walkers shuffleing towards them. He saw everyone hiding under the cars and watched rick telling the kids up ahead to do the same. Spencer then threw his bag under the car next to him and slid inside, covering Henry and himself with an old blanket that was already there. The suffleing came closer and spencer covered the henrys ears.

he glanced out the window a bit. He couldnt see everyone but right now that might be a good thing. He could however see T-dog run passed the car across from his. He got a really bad cut. Spencer's heart stopped when a walker stumbled over to the injured man.

The fear didnt last long though, as daryl snuck up behind the walker and stabbed it in the skull. He then pulled the weak T-dog down so he was laying on the ground and covered him with the dead walker bodies quickly doing the same thing to himself. They met eachothers eyes and they both felt the mildest releif. The other was ok. Spencer however had to duck down fast. The dead started shuffleing passed. They banged and hit the cars as they went by, baby Henry started to get a little fussy. Spencer reached into his pocket and carefully put the binky in henreys mouth.

When the anxiety was at its peak the shuffles passed. he watched Daryl shove the dead walker off of himself and he carefully opened the car door. Trying desperately to keep Henry happy. He crouched down nest to T-dog and grabbed at the sash that was holdig henry to Spencer's chest. He untied it quickly and carefully handed Henry to Daryl before wrapping around T-dogs wound. Just as he finished wrapping the cut they heard Sofia scream. Daryl handed garnet back to Spencer as gentle and fast as he could. Then he hauled T-dog to his feet so they could watch as hotch, and rick ran after the girl.

He quickly tucked his arm around Henry's torso and wrapped T-dogs good arm around is shoulders. then they made their way to the side of the road as fast as they could. Morgan and Rossi rushed to Spencer's side and quickly grabbed T-dog from the two men's hands. Emily and Garcia checked on Spencer. ''You ok? Hows Henry? Are you and the jackass ok'' emily asked, referring to Daryl. She looked really worried despite the insult. ''We're fine. I promise. At this point our main concern should be finding Sofia.'' Spencer said quietly. Garcia stepped forward and put a hand on Spencer's shoulder. ''We will, we always do.'' She said quietly. Almost like she was trying to confince herself.

The three of them all watched the the frantic Carol. They had seen that face many times before, but this time, it was someone they knew and cared about. ''Garcia can you take Henry for a bit. I think we should handle this like the other cases at the BAU.'' Spencer said quietly. They both nodded and went out to do their normal jobs. Emily walked over to Carol and Reid started running the statistics.

Once carol had calmed down a little Spencer asked a few questions. ''Ok carol. I know this is a stressful situation but I need you to try and answere these questions calmly and clearly. Can you do that for me?'' Spencer asked. Carol wiped her eyes and nodded at the man. Daryl and Lori where standing around for emotional support. ''Ok, how does Sofia respond when shes in tense situations?'' Spencer asked. Carol took a second to think. ''She freezes up. gets real quiet.'' She replied. ''Ok. Good. Does she have any experience with the woods?'' He asked. ''No she doesnt.'' Carol responded, she was starting to cry again.

Spencer nodded slightly in thought. ''We have about 4 hours till the sun goes down and a 3 mile search radius. Shes healthy and decently fast. But shes still a scared and confused child. On a normal occasion we would have 24 hours to find her alive. However with the current circumstances I think we only have about 6 hours to find her alive and 4 to find her in one piece.'' Spencer said. The people around him froze and Carol broke down into sobs. He wasnt trying to sound cold, but in situations like these its important to make sure everyone really understood the depth of the situation.

Everyone glanced around. rick and hotch made it back about ten minutes ago emty handed. ''Rick and Shane go left three miles and around. Morgan and Hotch go in the opposite direction. Glenn come with me and Daryl down the middle. We'll all go in a straight line out three miles then turn around and come back. Everyone else will go out behind us and fan out the search.'' Spencer explained.

''And doing this will help find my baby?'' Carol asked. ''Yes.'' Spencer answered. Carol sighed slightly. ''We have to go fast though. The lights fading and we need to find her within the next four hours.'' Spencer said. The group nodded and soon they all went out again.

They didnt find her...