chapter24

Daryl woke up to the sounds of a fussy baby. The man opened his eyes and slowly moved his numb arm from his face. He let his eyes adjust and take in the sight of Spencer standing in the middled of the living room rocking henry in his arms. He shifted slighty and began sitting up, catching the younger mans attention. ''Sorry daryl, didnt mean to wake you.'' spencer whispered. Daryl just stared for a few more seconds before shaking himself out of it. ''Dont worry about it. babys are gonna cry.'' Daryl replied. Spence cracked a small smile.

''You think maybe the little sucker's hungry?'' Daryl questioned. ''I have a bottle heating up now.'' Spencer replied, pacing around as daryl stood up. Spencer was about to walk back into the kitchen but daryl stopped him. ''nah man, go find a seat outside or something, ill go get the bottle.'' he said. spencer stared up at him. ''Its ok. You can go back to sleep if you want, I dont mean to keep you awake.'' spencer replied. daryl rolled his eyes. ''no, let me take care of you. now go sit your ass down.'' daryl commanded. spencer smiled up at him and gave him a peck on the lips before turning to go outside. daryl watched him leave with a wide grin, then turned toward the kitchen.

He saw the water in the pot starting to steam so he poured some of it into the bottle along with two scoops of formula and shook it around a little before making his way to the porch. The man stepped out and sat down next to spencer. Henry was half asleep by the time he sat down. But they both knew he should probably still eat. ''Thank you Daryl.'' Spencer said softly as he took the bottle that was handed to him. "kids gotta eat.'' daryl stated. They both sat in silence for few minutes while henry drank his bottle. Spencer  noticed Daryl was watching Henry closely.

''You wanna try feeding him?'' he asked the man. Daryl glanced down at spencer. ''nah man, I'm probably shit at it.'' Daryl replied. spencer smiled at him. ''hold your arms in a cradle.'' Spencer instructed. The hunter sighed in mock annoyance but reluctantly did what was asked. Spencer carefully stood up from the porch swing and stood infront of the hunter. He leaned down and gently placed henry in the mans arms. Daryl tensed up a little as the other guided his other hand onto the bottle. After a second Spencer stepped back and grinned down at the two.

Daryl was staring at the little guy in his arms. He had a very gentle smile, it made spencers heart skip a beat. The geniuse slowly sat back down and leaned in to rest his head on the mans tense shoulder.  "Relax a little. Baby's can smell fear.'' he told the man playfully. Daryl grumbled softly.

''I aint scared of no baby.'' he stated. Spencer could still feel how tense the man was. ''Your scared of hurting him.'' Spencer stated. Daryl glanced at him. ''What makes you say that?'' he questioned the geniuse. Spencer shifted slightly and look up at Daryl. ''I was scared of that too.'' he aswered honestly. Daryl sighed and gazed at the tiny thing in his arms. ''I think hes done with his bottle.'' Daryl whispered. Spencer cracked a small smile. ''I can burp him now.'' Spencer said, he made a move to take henry but daryl shifted away. Spencer paused and looked up at him.

Daryl cleared his throat. ''Gotta learn how at some point.'' Daryl said. Spencer laughed a little. ''henry has you wrapped around his finger and all you had to do was hold him.'' Spencer teased. Daryl flushed a little. The young geniuse took the bottle and helped Daryl sit Henry up against his shoulder. ''fair warning as you do this he might spit up all over you.'' Spencer said. Daryl shrugged. ''Ain't the worst thing I ever got on me.'' he said.

The two sat there a little while longer and just enjoyed eachothers company. Daryl patting Henry's back softly. The two enjoyed the earth the other gave. They where completely unaware of the man staring at them from the side of the house. ''What do you think rossi is doing right now?'' Spencer asked, trying to fill in the silence. Daryl shrugged. ''Could be trying to get Otis' body. Bring it home. Looks like he's the kinda man that would do that.'' daryl said. spencer smiled sadly. ''he is. I just cant help but think about all of kinds of trouble he could be in right now. He's strong, but he's also getting older. '' he whispered worriedly. daryl nudged him. ''hey, he probably just got tired and is holed up in a house somewhere.'' daryl tried to comfort.

''I should probably check in on how sophia's doing.'' spencer said tirdely. he was obviously trying to change the subject. daryl's only response was turning and laying down across spencers lap. thourouly inmobilizing him. spencer laughed and looked down at the smirking man. ''thats not nice.'' spencer said. daryl chuckled. ''good.''

spencer was about to respond when henry suddenly gave a lare burp followed by probably the loudest fart hes ever had. daryl looked down at the boy with wide eyes. ''I think he just shit on me.'' He stated. Spencer broke down into a fit of laughter. ''Oh he definately did.'' Spencer laughed out. Daryl sat up quickly. ''I'll change him if you want?" Spencer said.

Daryl shook his head no. "I meant it when I said I gotta learn how at some point." Spencer smiled at him softly. "Well, his diaper bag is under the coffee table." Daryl nodded and sat up. He held Henry close to his chest and made his way through the door. Leaving Spencer outside to relax in the cool dark air. It was early morning by this point. Still, the sun wouldn't be rising for another hour or two.

Spencer was about to stand up and check on Daryl when a sound to his right startled him out of his revere.

''why are you here... lori... why-why here? daryl n' rick... they take... take everything... everything. spencer has henry... carl... henry... lori... carl...carl.... carl dead only henry. lori gone only spencer.. spencer lori...spencer's lori.'' Shane mumbled. He was standing at the edge of the porch now. Spencer backed up slowly. "Shane? You ok?" He asked softly. Shane's eyes suddenly gained focus and a searing rage took over. Spencer walked himself around to the other side of the swing.

"Why are you with him? You know I love you more, I got more, I can protect you and our baby better." Shane stated. Spencer eyed him in confusion. "Shane Henry isn't yours, and I have given you no indication that I like you. What's going on?" He asked quietly. Shane shook his head feircely and backed Spencer into a corner. "No, no, you and me where happy before Rick was here everything was perfect." He said.

"Shane I'm not Lori." Spencer stated. It was the wrong thing to say. Shane went off in a blind rage and Spencer didn't see the knife till it was against his throat. His heart beat faster and the door to the house was slammed open. Daryl stepped out first with his bow pointed at the mans back. Hershel followed a few seconds later. Spencer could see Maggie through the window holding Henry. Rick stepped out shortly after the other two men and Lori stood behind him with her hand over her mouth.

Daryl stepped closer, the point of his arrow was pressed into the deranged mans skull. "Drop the knife Shane." He stated. His voice was gruffer than usual, heavy with anger. Spencer heard some foot steps approaching from behind and only relaxed a bit when he heard hitches voice. "Shane your out numbered, drop the knife."

Shane looked around and snarled. Then he grabbed Spencer's arm and twisted the two of them around so he could use Spencer as a shield. Daryl flinched and immediately changed where his was aiming. Shane used this new angle to walk Spencer and himself slowly down the stairs and away from the rest of the group. The knife on Spencer's neck was starting to dig into his skin.

They all turned when they heard wheels kicking up gravel down the road. Spencer took the moment of distraction to kick Shane in the knee and free himself. Shane stumbled back with a grunt and Daryl quickly put himself in between Shane and Spencer. Shane glanced around like a cornered animal. And like a contented animal he decided the best thing to do was run. He booked it back toward the forest as the few people who had guns shot at him.

Daryl only just managed to cut his thigh with an arrow before he disappears into the forest. Spencer took a stuttering breath as Daryl cursed. The truck pulling into the driveway could now be at the forefront of his mind. He turned his head and pressed a hand into the stinging pain on his neck hissing slightly. Daryl was at his side in an instant. He gently brushed Spencer's hand away and took a glance. "Don't worry, just a small cut, probably won't even need a bandaid." He said. His fingers where brushing against the edge of Spencer's jaw. He shuddered slightly and sighed with a nod.

Then he heard a familiar voice. Rossi stepped out of the car and solemnly waved them over. Spencer grabbed daryls hand and the two of them gazed into the back seat of the car to watch a barely alive Otis sat his final words to his sobbing wife. Spencer glanced at the two with tears eyes and clutched daryls hand tighter before stepping away to give them privacy.

Daryl followed him to where Rossi was standing and the world seemed to come to a stand still. He turned and on his right shoulder was a missing chunk of flesh. He looked pale and feverish. Spencer's world seemed to be collapsing as he let out a choked sob. The only up side.

At least Daryl was there to hold him together.