Chapter 10

At was a few hours later when they all noticed Jim up on the hill. Hotch and Dale where the first to go check it out. Reid probably would've been up there too but he had to take care of Henry.

The baby had been fussy for the rest of the afternoon and Spencer didn't know what to do. He wasn't hungry, didn't need his diaper changed. Spencer was almost at his wits end.

"You need help kid?" Rossi asked. He put a hand on Spencer's shoulder. "I just don't know what to do. I think the fight earlier scared him and I'm trying my best to comfort him but-" Reid paused wiping some tears from his eyes.

"Hey, it's ok to be scared. And it's ok if you need a break." Rossi said. "I-I think he misses his mom." Spencer said quietly. Rossi paused. "Well maybe that's what's you both need." He said. He kneeled down to Spencers level so he could the young man in the eye. "What do you mean?" Spencer asked.

"I think maybe you both just need to miss her. Just because the worlds gone to shit it doesn't mean your not allowed to mourn. And if you need to take a little time to go somewhere quiet to cry it out then that's ok." Rossi explained. Reid stared down at the baby.

He would have responded but Andrea and Amy came up the hill with at least 30 fish. And the words slowly died on his tongue.

——————

Turns out jim was in the middle of a major heat stroke. Diagnosed by Reid. They sat him down in the shade and Reid was next to him with a cool cloth and some water. Then Shane came over. Reid tensed a bit.

"Hey Jim. How ya feeling?" He asked. "Better." The over heated man answered. Reid re-dipped the cloth into the water and put it back on the mans neck. "Pour some on my head?" He asked the man.

"Sure." Shane responded. He dumped the water on the mans head and soon Jim asked. "How long you gonna keep me like this?"

"Well, till I don't think your a danger to yourself or others." Shane responded. Reid shifted away slightly.

Jim then watched the kids for a few seconds. And Reid could already tell why. "Sorry if I scared your boy, and your little girl." He said. The group looked at him. Lori glanced at him.

"You had sunstroke. Nobody's blaming you." She said. Only Reid could tell she does blame him. A lot.

"Your not scared now are you?" He asked. "No sir." Sophia replied shyly. Reid smiled a little.

"Jim, do you know why you where digging?" Dale asked. "Had a reason, don't remember, something I dreamt, last night." He responded. "Our subconscious likes to tell us to do things as a result of fear. I hardly blame you, there's a lot to be scared of nowadays." Reid responded. He pressed the cloth to Jim's forehead.

He didn't even notice Shane staring at him.

Hotch and Rossi did though. And they didn't like it.

—————————

Within the next few hours they where sitting around a nice fire with some fish in their belly's. Spencer was feeding Henry and it seemed the only care they had was when the group would return.

"I gotta ask you man, it's been driving me crazy." Morales started. Dale smiled. "What?" He asked. "That watch." He said.

"What's wrong with my watch?" He asked. Morales smiled. "I see you. Every day, same time winding that thing like a village priest saying mass." Spencer laughed along with the others. Trying to hold his tongue on all the facts that burst into his head.

"Ive wondered this myself." Jacqui added. Looking at dale slyly. "I'm missing the point." Dale stated. "Unless I misread the signs the world seems to have come to an end. At least hit a speed bump for a good long while." She stated. "Then theirs you. Every day. Winding that stupid watch." Morales added.