Chapter 9

The rest of the day was rather slow for a while. Reid went back to his semi annual job of teaching the kids and taking care of the baby. Garcia was with the other women washing clothes. And Hotch was helping with stripping the car Glenn stole.

It was almost peaceful. And when the kids started to lose interest Reid let them go play. He strapped Henry to himself using an old trick he learned from a  book on Chinese culture. It was called a mei tai.

After strapping Henry into his baby carrier he walked down to the quarry and started helping with the laundry. It was pretty fun.

"Can someone explain to me how all the women end up doing all the heavy every day work?" Jacqui asked. "Well do you want the scientific answer or the sarcastic answer?" Spencer asked.

Jacqui gasped. "Oh lord! When did you get here?" She asked. Spencer smiled. "About five minutes ago. I figured the kids could use a bit of a break with studying and I didn't want to be a burden." Spencer said.

"I'm interested in the sciencey reason." Amy said. Spencer smiled a bit. "Well since most of the men here have decided to fall into the 'leadership role', they've decided to not take roles like this very seriously as they truly think it's less important. Shane's a classic narcissist, Ed is very... uh traditional. And right now they're the two main men here besides Hotch." Spencer said. Starting on a new shirt.

"And I can tell you now that Hotch takes his role as a protector very seriously. In fact if you where to go up to him and ask him to do something for you he absolutely would. It's just one of the things that makes him Hotch." Reid explained. The women looked around at each other. It made sense.

"Also dale is a little to old, to do much besides be a lookout. And Jim, well I think he's a little mentally unstable." Reid supplied.

Andrea spoke up a bit. "And why don't you fall into that protector role?" She asked. Reid smiled a bit. "I've always kind of been in that protective role." He answered plainly.

"And what does that mean?" Jacqui asked. Spencer paused. "Well when I was little my mother had very severe schizophrenia. So I was always the one who did things, like paying the bills, cleaning the house, making the food. It was what I had to do to take care of my mom and myself." He said. The women paused. "In a way doing things like this is a major part of protection that I think everyone needs right now. Even if most font see it that way." Spencer replied.

Carol looked at the boy. "That must've been a lot for you at that age." She said. Spencer laughed a bit. "I mean, not really. If anything it was just something for me to do." Spencer stated.

"What do you mean by that?" Amy asked. Spencer glanced over. "I was never really a normal child? Like I graduated high school by 12 and had three phds since I was 16." He said.

The women stared at him. Well beside Penelope. She smiled. "Yep, this dashing young man is a certified genius. I brag about knowing him all the time." She said. Hugging the boy from the side. Spencer rolled his eyes at her shenanigans. "I do miss my maytag." Carol said after a short silence. "I miss my coffee maker with that slow drip filter and built in grinder." Jacqui said. Amy spoke up " miss my computer, texting." Garcia smiled. "Me too girl." She said.

"I miss my vibrator." Andrea stated. Spencer choked. Carol smiled. "Me too." She said. Causing a few giggles. Spencer covered Henry's ears and shyly whispered. "Me three."

That caused loud laughter. "What's so funny?" Ed asked. "Just swapping war stories Ed." Andrea responded. Spencer tensed a bit. "Can we help you with something?" Spencer asked. Noticing him pacing behind them. "Nothing that concerns you." He said. And of course he was smoking. "You outta focus on your work ya damn sissy boy." He stated. Reid rolled his eyes. "Like your focusing on carol?" He asked.

Ed snarled. "Ed I deal with men like you on a daily basis. In fact I've made a few cry Reid continued. "I can read you like an open book. In fact I'm doing it right now." He stated. Be noticed Hotch walk over. And when he was between the two he gave Reid a nod. Basically giving him the go ahead in destroying this man. Reid smirked.

"Ya know Ed your father hitting you doesn't give you an excuse to hit others. And your uncle molesting you when you where younger doesn't give you the right to touch your daughter." Reid said. Still half heartedly found laundry. "And sense of self worth isn't going to get better if all you do is beat down those your close too. I know when you and carol where young you probably had a whirlwind romance that lead to marriage. Then when the anger came out so did your dads drinking problem. And that lead to you hitting carol. You knew that she would want to leave you so what did you do? You got her pregnant and forced her to stay, how's that? Am I getting it right?" Reid asked tauntingly.

Ed tried to step closer to Reid but Hotch got in the way. "And now Ed you hate yourself because you know your the reason everything past your childhood has turned to shit." Reid said coldly. He could hear carols sobs. "And I'll tell you one more thing. If you ever put your hands on your wife or your little girl their will be nothing and no one that can stop me from putting a bullet into your head." He said coldly.

Hotch could feel a bit of pride swell in his chest. He knew Reid was good at one on one analysis but in truth he had never seen it in action and he was pleasantly surprised. Ed however did the dumb thing and tried to charge at Reid.

And Hotch went into dad mode. reid was basically his son and no one was going to hurt that kid. So as Ed ran Hotch threw a singal punch. It knocked Ed back a bit as carol screamed. Before Hotch could subdue him Shan ran in from no wear and started beating the shit out of the man. Hotch promptly had to pry him off. "Get off! And cool down!" Hotch yelled.

Reid watched in shock. They're was definitely something up with Shane. Reid wrapped his arms round Henry, who started crying when the yelling started. They all stared as carol ran to Ed's side.

And Reid stared at Shane's back as he walked away.