chapter 18

The next morning the groups headed out again. Only this time they needed to widen the search. There was a likely chance that Sofia was no longer alive, they just couldnt stop though. So the groups headed out again.

''This is where her tracks ended yesterday. Can't really follow them much further.'' Daryl replied. Spencer got thoughtful. ''Is there any chance she fell anywhere over here?'' he asked. Daryl and Glenn glanced around. ''Might've fallen over there a ways.'' Daryl pointed behind them. ''Maybe we're following the wrong set of tracks.'' Spencer commented. ''What makes you think that?'' Glenn asked. ''Well she had to have rested at some point during the night. So if she took a break here. And the tracks stop over there... those are animal tracks!'' spencer said. Daryl looked aroud for a second. ''I'll be damned, looks like there might be some other tracks going in that direction.'' He said quietly. Spencer and Glenn turned to where Daryls was pointing.

''Lead the way.'' Spencer said quietly. The three started walking in the direction Daryl pointed out. ''Your right, this track looks a little messier then the one I was following. We could be following walker tracks though.'' Daryl said quietly. He looked back at Spencer. ''How'd you know to look for that?'' Daryl asked. ''I remember almost everything I've ever heard, read and written.'' Spencer said to the man. "Also when you explain tracking to me, I like listening." Spencer said. Daryl had a pretty nice voice, he thought.

Glenn looked up. ''Like, for real?'' He asked surprised. Spencer glanced at him and smiled a bit. ''Yeah, for real.'' He answered. ''Cool.'' glenn responded. The two other men shook their heads at the boys antics.

Then they heard the church bells in the distance. ''Lets go!'' Daryl exclaimed. The lot of them started running to the sound. They met up with the other group on the way there. Hotch and Morgan where already at the doors waiting. Rick, Shane and Daryl where at the doors with their weapons at the ready. Emily, Spencer and Rossi started to circle around back. Killing the walkers that where attracted to the noise and trying to find the source of it.

Spencer watched through the window as Daryl ran in and screamed Sofia's name. He knew Daryl was blaming himself for Sophia's absence. They heard the bells again and sprinted around to the side of the building to see an automated bell sounder. Glenn quickly smashed the thing and everyone seemed to deflate.

''I'm going to go back in for a bit.'' said Carol. It didnt take much to figure out why. Spencer then turned to his group. ''I think we should scout out the surrounding buildings and check for signs that shes been here.'' Morgan said. ''ok, ill take daryl and we'll go check out the shed over there.'' Spencer said. ''Good Rossi and I will check around the church one more time. then Morgan and Prentiss will go check the mortuary.'' Hotch said. he turned to Jack. ''Hey why dont you go find out what Carl's up to?'' He encouraged.

The little boy nodded and ran off. Spencer was a bit glad Garcia decided to stay behind to take care of Henry while he was away. He'd have to thank her when they got back, he thought to himself. He and Daryl slowly made their way to the shed and looked around the base of it. ''How's the brat of yours?'' Daryl asked. Spencer smiled a little. ''He's doing good. I feel bad about leaving him with other people so often.'' Spencer said quietly. ''Don't think they mind much, he's got em wrapped round his tiny finger.'' Daryl said with a smirk. "He definately does.'' Spencer replied.

''You seem pretty fond of Sophia.'' Spencer said. Daryl shrugged him off. ''Stop blaming yourself.'' spencer said. ''I aint blaming myself!'' Daryl said, suddenly defensive. ''I know the feeling. And your not alone. Please dont tear yourself up because of this. Its not your fault.'' Spencer said. Daryl looked like he was deep in thought.

''Will we find her alive?'' Daryl asked the genuise. Spencer bit his lip nervously. ''That depends on the kind of answer you want.'' He replied. Daryl glared. "I want the damned truth!'' He said heatedly. Spencer nodded then took a deep breath to brace himself. ''Probably not.'' He replied plainly. ''We might not even find her at all.'' He said quietly. daryl stated to breath heavily and he reared back to slam his fist into the wall next to them. Only for the board to move with his hand. They both paused.

Daryl pulled back an gently moved the board again. It moved back again like the nails on the bottom had come undone. ''You think Sophia coulda squeezed in there?'' Daryl asked hopefully. Spencer gave a small nod. ''Let me try getting in.'' Spencer said. Daryl nodded and held the plank out of the way so Spencer could squeeze into the small space. When inside he looked around for a bit and noticed a loft with a small tarp and table cloth on top. He climbed up the little makeshift ladder and let out a small gasp. There lay a patch of fresh blood and the leg of the doll Sophia carried with her. Spencer wiped his face and took a deep breath.

He rushed out of the shed and avoided Daryls eyes. ''What was in there?'' daryl asked, he was alarmed at Spencer's shaken appearance. Spencer sniffed slightly and tried walking away. But Daryl grabbed his arm slightly rougher then he meant to. ''What did you find?'' Daryl asked, more firm than before. Spencer took a deep breath to collect himself. ''She was in there at some point last night, of her dolls legs are up in the loft area and there was blood. fresh blood, around where her soulder would be.'' Spencer said. Daryl let go of the genuises shoulders and looked to the ground. He paced tensly and kicked the ground hard. ''So your saying she was bit? Shes gone? Just like that?'' Daryl yelled. This news was hitting him very hard.

''I think at this point we might be looking for her body.'' Spencer said shakily. Daryl fell to the ground. and Spencer fell down next to him. ''There any way she could survive this?'' Daryl asked desprately. Tears filled the younger mans eyes as he shook his head. "Not without help." Spencer said. Daryl was tearing up next to him and neither man could look at the shed. "How do you do this all the time? Dont it hurt ya?"  The hunter asked. "It does. So much. There are many nights where I stay up thinking about what could have been done." Spencer said. daryl sniffled a bit and stood up. "How do you live with it?" He asked. Spencer shrugged. "I have hope that we'll save the life up until I can't have it anymore." He said. Daryl looked at him with an unreadable expression. he helped pull the distraugh spencer to his feet and turned away slightly. ''we should go tell the others what we found.'' Spencer said softly. Daryl just nodded.

The two  stood there processing for a few more moments and finally walked in the direction of the church.

"I still have hope." Daryl said.