twenty seven.

"Hey princess," Marinette heard his muffled voice through the thickness of her window. He could sense that something was wrong but he couldn't tell what. She wasn't acting like herself and when she turned around to look at him through the window, it looked like she had just seen a ghost.

"You okay Princess?" He asked with a worried tone in his voice. He saw Marinette turn her back on him and grab a book that was laying on her carpet.

"Who the hell am I?" She whisper shouted and Chat Noir didn't get it at first but once he started reading the words on the page of the diary, he started to understand why she wasn't feeling like herself. She just found out she wasn't.

Chat Noir leaped from the side of Marinette's window to her balcony to try and talk to her.

"Is this what you couldn't tell me? You couldn't tell me about my life? Who do you think you are?! Controlling what I can and can't know? This was- is my life and you just kept it from me for however long I've known you?! Tell me. I know I didn't fall in the street. Cut the bullshit and tell me what happened. Every detail."

Chat Noir was now standing on her balcony and tried to go closer to Marinette, who was still inside her room, but she started to shut the trap door, motioning for him to stay away until she knew the truth.

"I did it to protect you-"

"That's what you always say but from what?! Who would I tell? From what I read no one was allowed to know who I was, including you. So please, just tell me before I start freaking out more than I already am."

Chat Noir took a deep breath and did what she told him to do. Reliving these final moments he had with Ladybug was harder than she knew but he had to tell her. The truth had to come out eventually.

"We met under the bridge after we defeated hawkmoth for the hundredth time. You told me how you were truly feeling and I didn't know how to respond. You told me how stressed you were feeling and- and you wanted to give me the guardianship because of it. I didn't want it not because of what I would go through with the kwamis but because the sole thought of losing you was too much for me to bare."

Just talking about Ladybug again made him tear up a little so he turned his face away so Marinette couldn't see the tears falling down his face. At this point she felt bad for yelling at him earlier so she went up to the balcony and sat close, but not completely next to him.

"You made me promise you. I remember the exact words actually." Chat Noir cleared his voice and made a high pitched female voice, trying to imitate Ladybug and truthfully trying to cheer himself up.

'You have to promise. Promise to stop by, promise to help me come back, promise to not give up like I did. Promise me Chaton." He changed his voice back to his normal pitch and started speaking again.

"I remind myself of what you told me everyday but I don't think I can do it. I'm sorry and I feel like every part of me is letting Ladybug's last promise down. I do stop by, everyday but I don't know if I can bring you back. I'm trying, I really am but I don't think I'm the person to do it. And I don't know if I can keep going. Giving up seems like the best option these days but you're the one that pushes those thoughts away. I really hope she's not mad at me though."

Marinette decided not to say anything so he could keep talking but she did grab his right arm and wrap her arms around it, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I asked you to meet me at the Eiffel Tower the next day but you never showed. You got taken by Volpina. Thats Lila in her akumatized form and she's one of the strongest people Hawkmoth had ever taken control of. She possessed the powers of Rena Rouge, which are illusions, and she sent an illusion of you to try and bring me to where you were. I was angry with you but I still gave in because well- I just did. Your illusion form faded away and I saw the real you strapped to a chair and at that moment my main priority was to get you out of there."