28. Don't Hate Me

SHIN

I want to scream, rip off a couple of pillows and shred them until they resembled nothing that they used to be. The wild sentiment seems enticing. To destroy things I had control over.

Sweating profusely I ran on the mill, boosting its speed to a level that I won't be able to keep up with. I exert my leg and body to go on, to focus on momentum and rhythm instead of the phone call that shrills through the gym room. The screen blinks with a missed called memo- then soon another call wakes up. Same number, The same person.

Four days ago when we landed in Seoul – I met my family, Hwan ran over to me with open arms. I was fatigued because of the long flight I had- but nevertheless, I opened my arms to be welcomed when he jogged past me to embrace Lee in a manly bro hug. My jaw fell open when I witnessed the exchange and spotted the arrogant amusement dancing in his eyes as he ruffled my brother's hair.

"Thanks for gifting me the gaming studio. You are the best" the little devil wheezed at Lee as my parents shrugged when I threw a questioning glance at them. But then Dad came over to us and after some good parental hugs and forehead kisses they filled me in.

"We received some thoughtful gifts from our son-in-law a week ago" Mom said from right, while Dad shared his observation from left, Slipping his plain silver glasses, his lips curves "By the look on your face- you don't have a clue about this do you?"

A lamenting sigh leaves me. My parents changed their perky demeanor in an instant- like an attire as soon as Lee greeted them with a bow. They now imitated polished upper state personalities that Mom always belonged from- but seldom were accustomed to. My mother married a normal man whose parents ran a bakery in a small underdeveloped village. And instead of changing my father to fit the elite criteria- she realized there was no fun in living the life she had always lived. So she crazed up, became the girl who evokes as Head of the committee for the day and a lovably reckless mother and woman after her shift ends.

That explains why Hwan and I turned out the way we are.

But it still doesn't explain why I want to hurl myself out of somewhere after what I had done.

Mistake-

I called it a mistake- my poisoned words and the dying spirit in his eyes clawed onto me with each breath I took. I made it look like it meant nothing- but it wasn't enough to make him hate me.

Why was he doing this? Why can't he just hate me?

Maybe it needed a further push to get him there. More bitter remarks and genre of ignorance. So I went home to rest while he went off to meet his family. He pecked me on the forehead, reminding me to get ample rest and eat on time. And also to not think much.

It was a show for my family. By how hauntingly his gaze pierced through me- it was the opposite. He doesn't want me to rest at all.

As soon as I reached my room, removing my jacket and shoes I walk through my wardrobe. Rummaging through the drawers to revive my phone back. The usual one that I had left here because I wasn't willing to take even a snippet of element that binds me to this place.

I put in on charging and once full I switched it on.

Then I dropped it in the bed when a knock was heard. Wiping the sweat off my forehead I sat up alert to see Hwan's head emerge from the crack. Then he steps in as I inspect him with shock-

"You knocked?" I asked him as he poked his tongue out childishly, he even looked slightly taller than the last wise I saw him. He was growing so fast- even a month updated him.