30. Don't Let Live

LEE

There was this vast feeling of satisfaction to see the piece of ornament I gave her two nights ago by her wrist. The silver chained bracelet hung loosely on her, faintly crinkling when she moved her arms. Reassuring that sound was as I chiseled my hearing to overhear my family discuss and opinionate the episodes from the ceremony. The gossips that sizzle among them, it must be diplomatic- because from where I saw her seated next to Sera, her highlighted curiosity seem to pique with each word that my sister said.

For a brief moment she looked at me, then she turned to exclaim. I couldn't hear them, but with the dissected analogy of how they behaved- sera was onto something. My best guess was, she was narrating the top listed events that involve me and my embarrassments.

Chewing on a nonexistent gum and pride I surf through my phone to look through the countless emails that I wasn't able to attend to. Each more important than other- but none than the issues I have with her.

The hammering complication which led me into confronting her of her loyalty was vicious when she has been convinced on defying her actions. She gets me, she knows how lenient I am when it comes to her. But I have had enough- why wear the bracelet that I gifted her today when she could've thrown it away?

Why confuse me?

Why the faux?

I don't care who that man was. But the lie? Do I deserve them, after she knows what she means to me?

But forgiving her became a norm, so as we sat with mementos huddled around us for the said family culture to be wrapped. Shin and I have been sharing the room and bed by my family home on the third floor after the night of the reception. Not that I have seen her awake and active since I was seldom home, when I was back she was asleep with an open book on top of her chest. What could I give to hold her and tell her about my day? To see her smile at me and flirt with her philosophical humor. The final court hearing and prosecution of a decade-old nemesis had been keeping me up and off. Now that he was sentenced to life imprisonment I could see the relief in my father's behaviour.

He even shared a warm hug with me this morning, it caught me off guard so we ended up butting his forehead against mine at first. He wasn't impressed by it. No one ever seems to appreciate the efforts I make- so with a grumpy attitude, I crossed my legs by the mattress on the ground. We waited for everyone to join us- Shin who scooted to me with small unnoticeable steps whispered hurriedly.

"What is going on? Why are we on the floor?"

I stared ahead at the mural in the wall as I answered her.

"It's a tradition. We unwrap the presents we receive with them"

I hear her gasp in shock- I could relate to her. Out of all the aspects that confused me about her- this was something I could understand. Invasion of privacy- the Kims don't heed at it.

"Why are we all on the floor though?"

This wise I look up at the chandelier. The large ball of crystal hung there proudly.

"Because it's humble. A symbolism that we are grateful for the love we are amassing through these tokens" maddened, I laugh. Looking at her quizzical gestures I agree with her unsaid notion "Yes, it's irrational"

But so were the thoughts of what was packed within those mysterious boxes. Because as far as I know my friends- I don't want to admit. But they were a bunch of assholes at the end of the day- so the chances of me receiving a genuine one was a farce. Not even with Elzina- not when I pranked her with a live tarantula encased in a jar for her own wedding present.