33. Don't Tear Away

LEE

Dr. Sim Do won, he is the one who came up when I had whisked through her belongings to find her medical files. Anything that I could get my hands on as the medics from the center had asked for. Buried beneath her piling books and editorial documents I had managed to pull out a thick binder etched with the logo of her family's medical facility.

And also a bag packed with cans of pills and pain shots.

The feathery feel of her fainting into my arms still remained fresh, the choking dread when I saw the blood by her chin and neck had only increased until I saw the lack of surprise or wonder in Shin's eyes. They were sad and tired. And I hated it.

I hated the fucking idea that folders into me.

Has this happened before?

Is this something that was also hid from me?

What was even happening?

That was when my gut kicks in, deranged and crazed I had carried her, sensing the rising temperature in her skin as my friends erupted in action to get my destination straight. I drove the car while Elzina sat by the passenger seat doing her best with the anatomical knowledge she pursues to stop Shin from bleeding out.

A look through the rear, I saw the plight and worry in her eyes. The pale stack of napkins she had used to press on, all drenched.

The silent glances that Alex kept nurturing from the side while ordering up a team of qualifiedly ranked doctors to join in were the only reason I was able to keep up with driving. My heart lurched for reassurance, for Elzina to whip up her intellect and tell me that it was nothing but some dehydrated imbalance.

But the bottle of pills and the package of test reports from recent dates lying by the conference table as the two doctors trade what it reads with a stoic silence has me in an iron hold. Shin was stable, the bleeding had stopped. She was rushed into intensive care as soon as we arrived. They wouldn't tell us what's wrong because they couldn't till they ran tests on her. Elzina and Alex never left my side, though Alex kept coercing Elzina to get some rest- all she did was use her membership card and used the nearest guest room to get the blood from her top.

It was Elzina's birthday. Shin and I were to be at a party- with how gorgeous she looked tonight with her bold eyes glowing and actions charring through me- we were supposed to ditch the gala and spent the night in each other's arms. We should have talked each other out of the pain and hurt we were diligently putting through. Not- not this.

This night was not this.

"We have to contact Dr. Sim Do won, the neurologist from south Korea who apparently had been looking after Ms Shin Young's case. We are preparing for the video meet and we need someone who is-

I hadn't even listened to the end of the nurse's reasoning, I was on my feet and to the conference room. A woman with sunset red hair and a tall man with a sharp nose and wise eyes stared up at me when I had entered.

"I am Shaun Lee, I am her husband. How is she?"

I don't have time to read their badges or memorize the name to see who in the world is tending to her. All I want to know was that she was fine. As fine as everyone is in this room. But they smile politely at me as they asked me to take a seat.

I sit with my gaze still questioning them,

"We would like to know for how long have you been accompanying and following up with Ms shin Young with her medical –

"I haven't"

Their lips clip as I swallow the bitter truth in and puzzle them in a sentence.

"I am not aware of what happened today. I don't even know if this had happened before"