Chapter 76 - Calling in Reinforcements

Sam and Dean

After a nice hearty breakfast, the boys were all packed and ready to go. Sam had argued that he should carry the first blade again, but Dean refused. "Sam, we almost died because I didn't have this handy. It's not happening again. I'm keeping it with me." Unfortunately, though Sam hated it, Dean had a very good point.

They set off with Jono, who was going to lead them to where the crystal was. "So tell me," he said, "How'd you boys handle yourselves so well against the unseens? I know about you being hunters and all, but no one survives an unseen attack."

"Two things, said Dean. "One, I have a blade that actually kills them. And two, we had some pretty intensive training before we left on how to sense things we can't see. I don't think we'd a have made it without either one of those, and certainly not without you."

"Listen," Jono said. "I have something for you boys. Call it a loan. If you ever get back this way, you can return them." He handed them each a ring. "They are protection from magic rings. They work whenever you're wearing them, so wear them all the time. They aren't 100% perfect, nothing is. But they can darn sure help."

"Thanks," said Sam. "We don't know what to say."

"Jono, man, we just can't thank you enough," said Dean. "For everything."

"You can thank me by finishing this once and for all," Jono said. "My family is stuck here until someone does," he added.

"Well then, start packing," said Dean, "Because we're gonna end this."

They walked a little farther and Jono asked, "Do you have all the tree ash you need?"

"No," they said together.

"Well there's one, right there. My guess is, you'll find one in each area you go to." They looked at the tree Jono was pointing out and they agreed it was the one that looked like their own maple trees. They cut a branch and burned it, and Sam got out the pouch labeled '1 Yellow Maple' to put the ashes in.

"Do you know what color this heart is?" asked Sam, while the branch burned..

"I do, indeed," answered Jono, "it's white." Sam got out the pouch labeled '7 White Elder' and moved it to a handy pocket.

"Clever idea, those pouches," Jono said.

'Yeah they are a huge help, thanks to our very smart women," he said, grinning.

"I can tell by the looks on your faces that you love them very much," said Jono.

"You have no idea," said Dean wistfully. When the branch had burned to ashes, Sam scooped up a handful and put them in the pouch and they went on their way.

Soon they came to a rocky area and for about an hour they were climbing. Then Jono pointed out a cave opening in the rocky hillside. Jono said, "This is where it gets tricky, but fortunately, I was a curious lad, and I followed the instructions to get to the crystal many years ago. I marked the way on the cave walls."

Dean stopped at looked at Jono, and said, quite seriously, "Jono, have I told you lately how much I love you?"

They all had a little laugh at that. Then Jono rustled around in some debris that was lying along the cave wall. He found three hefty branches and laid them in front of him. Then he opened his pack and took out some kind of material strips and wrapped them around the sticks. Then he pulled out a flask and poured some oil on the rags and soaked them.

When he went to use a flint and steel to light them, Dean held out his hand to stop him and said, "Jono, Jono, wait, I got this." Dean took out a lighter and struck it, thankful that it worked on the first try. Jono's eyes got big, and he looked on with amazement. "It's called a lighter," said Dean. "It's the kind of magic we have on out world."