Chapter 63 - A Startling Truth

Katie's POV

Just after 2 pm Eric buzzed the cell phone. "Call now or at 6 pm," the message said. So I called right away. We exchanged pleasantries and I thanked him for his last package, and I filled him in on the training the boys were getting. Then I told him I thought we were being watched.

"I'm not surprised," he said. "It was only a matter of time."

"What do you think it means?" I asked him.

"It most likely means they are getting close to being able to take the boys."

"Tell me this. Are they actually there, or just like their aura or something?"

"It's just their essence," he said.

"So they can't open doors and stuff like that?"

"At some point they can, but it takes practice. It's kind of like the way ghosts are. They need to learn to use their essence to move things or interact with the environment. How do you even know they are there?"

"Because Garth is visiting, and he hears a humming in his ears."

"Yes, that would make sense. Projecting an essence is nothing more than a frequency of wave."

"Eric, does this put you in danger? I mean if they are watching us, then they must know we have gotten help from somewhere."

"I'm aware of that, which is why I have been so careful about how I passed you the information. But I think I'm safe for the time being. Even if they figure out it's me, they still don't know how to find me."

"Good. I was worried about that," I said.

"Don't worry about me, I can disappear in a heartbeat if I must. I'd just rather not. I kind of like my life here," he assured me. "But it may be a good thing they know the boys are aware of the situation."

"How so?" I asked.

"Well, they wouldn't be too upset about the boys getting prepared would they?" Said Eric. "They might even hold off until they think the boys are ready. All you need to do is be careful not to let on about the spell to destroy it rather than release it."

"Yes, we are taking steps to keep that quiet," I assured him.

"Good, sounds like you have things under control. Ring me when you need to."

I worked on translating for a few more hours and then I went back to make dinner for the gang. What a funny thought that was, using the word gang for the first time in forever.

Dean's POV

Maria had worked us hard all morning, and I was feeling proud of our progress. We were actually getting it. But something else was eating at me, and I needed to put it to rest. It was breaking into my concentration. So when Maria dismissed us for showers, I asked her if I could have a minute.

I took off my mask and leaned against the door frame, with my arms folded. I wasn't sure how to approach this, but I had come to respect Maria, and I really needed to understand something.

"What's on your mind Dean?" she asked.

I cleared my throat. "You probably know that the girls have told us about their past," I said.

"Yes, I'm aware," she said.

"Including what happened to them at the hands of their uncle." I said.

"Yes."

Again I had to clear my throat. This was harder than I had thought it would be. "In these last two days, I've come to realize that you and I are kindred spirits when it comes to family," I said.