Chapter 78 - Doing it Smarter

Sam and Dean

Tarsa and the boys met in Tarsa's private room again after the boys were rested. It was hard to say what was morning or night here in their 'heaven,' but for the boys it was morning.

Dean started things off. "Tarsa," he said, "I have a few questions, and depending on the answers I may have a fairly good idea."

"Ask them," answered Tarsa.

'First, does it matter in what order we do these journeys?"

"No, actually, I don't think it does. I've just been giving them to you in the order they're written. But nothing is written that says they must be done in this order."

"See," said Dean, with an impish grin. "These are the things I'm talking about,… we call them 'loopholes' but I'm not finding an equivalent in your language.

"I see," said Tarsa, smiling. "Yes, I see. What are your other questions then?"

"Is it against the rules for us to know the list of towns and family names?"

Tarsa thought about that. "No, I don't believe it is," he said.

"'The money you give us," Dean continued, getting more and more excited, "do you have to give that to us one town at a time?"

"No but, I've been doing that to make sure you have enough to get through to the end."

"I know, but hear me out," said Dean. "No offense to you believe me, but this sort of thing isn't your strong suit. It's ours. We have to play this smarter. And we can. Much smarter."

"Go on," said Tarsa.

"Okay, next question," said Dean. I know that Sam and I must be the ones to go through these journeys. And I know why now. The keys we need to use and the boxes we open are attuned to us, and both of us must be touching them or things just don't work." He paused for a breath. "But is there anything saying that other people can't go with us?"

"Surfacers, you mean?"

"Yes, surfacers.

"No, there isn't actually, not about surfacers. It just says we… 'angels' can't accompany you, or help you above what's written."

Dean grinned from ear to ear. "Last question," he said. "Do you know the names of any of the trusted underground, and where they live?"

"I do know some, yes, but not many."

Dean rubbed his hands together. "Then here is how we work smarter," he said, and outlined his plan to Tarsa and Sam.

"Brilliant!" Tarsa exclaimed. "You are right, I am not a strategist. I should have consulted you before this, rather than try to direct you. This will definitely make it safer for you, and most probably quicker as well."

"I'm sure it will," said Sam, and they spent some time working out the plan.

"I actually do have one more question," said Dean. "And a request. If we were to die down there, would you know it?"

Tarsa looked sad. "To be honest, I don't know. The scriptures covering this do not mention what happens in that case, just that it fails," he said.

"Okay then, here's my request," said Dean. "If we go down to the surface, and we don't come back in seven of your days, you go tell our women, so they don't wait all their lives for us, can you do that?"

"I can," said Tarsa, sadly, "If you wish it."

"We do," said Sam. "And tell them everything is theirs now."