Chapter 19 - A Visit Home

Maggie's POV

When we got on the road, the guys were in front and Maggie and I were in the back. Sam is a bit too big to be comfortable in back, but I think he actually considered it for a minute.

I said, "Guys, there are a couple of things we should talk about."

Dean said "Okay," and Sam looked back at me.

I said "First of all, the two of us were kind of thrust into your lives, and you've been paying for it all. We want to do something to earn our keep. We have money on our world, but it's different. I don't think it would work here. But we both have skills that let us earn a living completely over the internet. So once we get settled we are going to start looking for work."

I waited a bit for reactions. I saw Dean's face in the mirror, frowning a little. Sam looked skeptical too. He said, 'Maybe Katie." He looked at Dean to see if he was speaking for both of them. Then he went on. "We understand your wanting to do that, but until we know how this happened, that might not be a good thing to do. Can we table that for now until we can consider all the ramifications?"

"Fair enough," I said. "The other thing is harder, but more important. Part of it is that we need to go back again and have a longer discussion with our parents. They need to understand better what's happening. And while we are there we are going to watch the next episode of Supernatural. And I, for one, would like to try to find a way to bring the information here, even if it's just something vaguely helpful."

Dean looked at me in the mirror. "That's actually a good idea. I'm not sure we can pull it off, but it's worth a try."

Sam seemed to feel the same way so that was easier than I thought it would be. Dean said, "You two can do that once we get home and settled tonight if you want."

Maggie and I exchanged a look and I said, "Okay then, that's a plan."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

We pulled into the bunker about a quarter past nine, and by nine thirty we were heading for the car. Sam came over to me and gave me a hug. He said, "I'm trusting you to come back, okay? Don't be too long." Then he whispered in my ear, "I love you."

Dean looked longingly at Maggie, but stayed where he was. I saw the puzzlement on Maggie's face. What was going on there, I wondered. We got in the car and said the magic words. It seemed the specific words didn't matter as long as they carried the intent to hop worlds.

The car was in the garage. That was good. Maggie started to get out of the car but I grabbed her arm. "We need to talk first," I said. "What's going on with you and Dean?"

She shrugged. "I don't know," she said. "He was all over me last night. It was pretty much how I had expected him to be, kind of rough. But sometimes he was sweet and tender. This morning he was up before me and he was just sitting there watching me. He was concerned that I was okay. He seemed a bit upset about my scars. But, Katie, I thought we had a connection, I really did. And through the day I'd catch him looking at me. He even turned the mirror so he could see me. But then sometimes, it seems he doesn't want to come near me. So I don't know." She looked at me sadly. "What about you and Sam?" she asked.

"We seem to have bonded. It was a great night. I'll detail you later. But see Maggie, I think Sam and I are at the point where I think he needs to know everything. I can't let things develop more in good conscience without him knowing everything. If it's going to change things, I need to know now. And we can't just tell Sam. If you really want Dean, and we tell Sam and not Dean, then later he finds out, that's not going to be good for you and Dean."