Chapter 31 - One Question Answered

Katie's POV

The next morning all four of us were wandering around the kitchen looking into cupboards and the fridge trying to find anything at all good for breakfast. "We should go grocery shopping today," I said.

For some reason the boys looked at each other, and whatever message passed between them looked like something I wasn't going to like. "Um, Katie, Maggie, sit down for a minute okay?" He sounded pretty serious.

I looked at Maggie and she looked as puzzled as I felt. How could a suggestion to go grocery shopping make them both look so worried. Maggie and I sat down at the kitchen table. Dean leaned against the counter. Sam actually bent down on his haunches and took my hands in his. "You need to understand something," he said. "You haven't lived in our world. What you see on that show, it doesn't come close to telling the whole story about this world."

"On your world, you have all sorts of electronic signals running through the air, right?" I nodded. "Okay well here, we have those too, but we also have a lot of magical signals running around. Signals from spells, signals from psychics, signals from evil things who can just send them out naturally. Understand what I'm saying?"

"Yes but…"

"No listen," he continued. "The thing is, until we know who or what brought you here, hell! Until we know even how our worlds can exist, you two might be in danger here, And if the wrong person knows you're here, it might also be dangerous for us as well. We know you'd like to go out. But right now, we just don't think it's wise."

I looked at Maggie. Then I nodded at Sam. "We wouldn't want to bring danger down on you guys, not in a million years," I said, obviously a little upset. Sam brushed my hair back with his hand and stood up. "Either Dean or I will go shopping today. You two can make a list of things you need or things you might like to have around."

"We can cook," Maggie said. "How would you like some real Italian spaghetti?"

That got Dean's interest big time. "Yeah, sure," he said, grinning. "Just write down everything you need."

Then Sam said, "If you two really need to get out, you can go to your world and shop all you want. I really wish we could get there too. But for now, let us have the peace of mind of knowing you are safe okay?"

We both said okay, and Maggie and I went to our room to make a grocery list.

We met back up in the study, and Dean said he'd go to the store because he needed something more physical to do. The rest of us settled down to do more research. But there didn't seem to be much of anything we could do until we heard from Jeffries. If we heard from Jeffries.

When Dean came home the boys carried in the groceries and Maggie and I put them away. I found Dean's selection of groceries amusing. Other than the list we gave him, he mostly got stuff for sandwiches, and lots of snacks. And, of course, beer.

We made up some hamburgers and fries as sort of a community effort and then Dean said he wanted to watch more episodes. Since there really wasn't anything more constructive to do, we all agreed.

The boys were much more comfortable this time around, and made a lot more comments. Sometimes it was hilarious. Some of it was scary. Some of it was just sweet.

After we watched the episode about the bugs, they both admitted it was scarier than any monster they ever had to deal with. They had both thrown up several times. And they had both come away with so many bites they were incapacitated for days afterwards, just treating their bites in the motel room.

The next episode was "Home," and they talked about how hard it was to go there, especially for Dean. On the show, their father had turned up at the psychic's house, and the boys said if he had really done that, they didn't know about it.