Chapter 7 - Target Practice

After Walmart we went back to the room where Sam got on his computer to do some research. Dean put on a soap opera. I smiled at him and said, "Oh is that Dr. Sexy? We don't have that one on our world."

Maggie and I watched it with him and then we went into our room to talk.

Maggie grabbed my arm and said, "As much as I am thrilled to be here with Sam and Dean, I'm getting really scared Katie. What about Mom and Dad? And I feel so useless! There's nothing I can do to help without my computer."

"I know, I feel the same way. If we only had our computers, I know we could find something useful to do."

I went to Sam and asked if I could  use his computer for a few minutes and he turned it in my direction. This world even had Google. I spared a quick minute to wonder if the stockholders got paid from both worlds. I quickly looked up Jared and Jensen, Eric Kripke and anyone else I could think of that was associated with the TV show. None of them were found. If they lived in this world they weren't famous. I turned the computer back to Sam.

I noticed that Dean had been watching both Maggie and me quite thoughtfully for a while now. At some point he got up and went outside, and came back in about five minutes with a duffel bag. He unzipped the bag and took out a gun and tossed it on the bed. He looked at Maggie and said "Tell me about this gun."

Maggie picked it up and said "This is a Colt .45, probably   model M1911. Uses a 7-round magazine and it's recoil operated."

"Load it," he said.

Maggie checked the gun to be sure it wasn't already loaded, looked in the satchel for .45 ACP cartridges and loaded the gun. She made sure the safety was on and then she went through a few motions that indicated she knew how to handle the gun.

Dean made his 'not bad' face but didn't say a word. He took out a second gun and tossed it on the bed. Then he looked at me and said, "Your turn."

I picked up the gun and checked it out. "Hmm, I said, this is a Colt Patterson, um maybe .36 caliber? It's been converted to take metal cartridges instead of percussions. And by the way, this one's loaded." I unloaded the gun and handed it to him.

We went through the same procedure with a Beretta 92 9mm, and a Smith and Wesson 4006, and all the while he kept looking at us with a blank  expression. Then he started firing off questions about guns, which we also had no trouble answering. Finally he stopped, considered us again for a minute or two, looked over at Sam and said, "Let's go for a ride."

We piled in the car and I had a feeling I knew where this was headed. Sure enough about ten miles out of town we drove by a large pasture bounded by a log fence. Dean pulled the car over, got a rattling bag out of the trunk and went and put six empty beer cans on the fence. He loaded the Colt .45 and handed it to Maggie. She fired off six shots and six beer cans went down. He looked at the empty fence and said, "Huh!"

He set up six more cans and handed me the Beretta, already loaded.  I'm not quite as good as Maggie and I missed the 5th one. Dammit! But still he turned down the edges of his mouth in that kind of almost smile he has, shook his head a few times and finally said, "Guess you weren't shittin' me.

We shot up a few more rounds of beer cans, exchanging the guns back and forth. I couldn't help feeling a bit smug as both Dean and Sam kept looking at each other, clearly impressed. Dean and Sam threw a few in the air and we nabbed them too.

You carry guns at home?" Asked Dean.

"I have several but I'm Partial to my  Sig Sauer," I said. "Maggie usually carries a Glock .45." Dean went back to the trunk, and I snuck a look at Sam and I swear he was looking right at me with admiration.

Dean came back and handed us each a gun and ammo. "These should do you. Keep them on you at all times and under your pillow at night. Sam and I are going to be getting a call any day now, and we'll have to leave in a hurry. I feel better about it knowing you can protect yourselves."

We stowed our guns and ammo inside our jackets and played around a bit till we each found a comfortable way to draw them. As Maggie was fiddling with something on her Jacket I just barely caught a glimpse of Dean coming up behind Maggie and placing his arm around her throat. In a heartbeat Dean was nothing but a pile on the grass and Maggie was straddling him with a knife at his throat. "Son of a bitch," he said, frowning. "And where the hell did that come from?, he asked, indicating her knife."

"My boot," answered Maggie, as she got off him and held out a hand to help him up.

"You have any more weapons on you?" he asked, clearly a bit peeved.

"Yeah, we each have a gun, and an Angel blade" Maggie said matter-of-factly.

"You're a little smartass, aren't you?" sad Dean.

Maggie smiled and shrugged. "Takes one to know one," she said.