Chapter 20 - A Startling Revelation

Katie's POV

I dragged myself out of bed around 10 and went in search of the kitchen. The smell of coffee led me there, and I found Sam making breakfast. He smiled and I walked over to him and gave him a hug. He looked at me intently and asked, "What's wrong? You don't look like you slept well."

I found the cups and poured myself some coffee. "I didn't," I said. "Have you seen Dean yet?"

"Yeah, he wandered in here and got some coffee and wandered back out."

"How did he look?"

"Hard to tell with Dean. He pushes crap down."

"Yeah," I agreed, "I know." I took in a long breath and let it out. "Listen Sam. There are still some things you need to know about us, and Maggie and I agreed to get it over with today. Think Dean is up to it?"

Sam looked rally concerned. "Anything I should be worried about?"

"Sam, please, some of it will be very hard to do. Let us do it all together, okay?"

"Okay," he said, still looking concerned. "Want some breakfast?"

"No, but thank you, you're so sweet. But I couldn't eat now, I'd never keep it down."

"This sounds serious," he said. "Let me go check on Dean and we can meet in the study."

Just then Maggie came in looking about how I felt. "Oh good, the coffee fairy has already been here." She got herself a cup and I said, "You Okay?"

"Not really, but let's go do this."

We took our coffees to the study and took seats beside each other at one of the tables. In a few minutes Sam and Dean came in and sat across from us.

Dean looked more in control of himself and actually concerned as well. "What's up ladies?" he asked.

"Dean, Sam," I said looking at them in turn. "Maggie and I decided last night that before we hang around much longer you guys have a right to  know some other things about us. It's time. But before I actually get to that, I'll finish catching you up to date on our lives after high school."

"All right," said Dean. They were both paying rapt attention.

"After graduation, we just hung around the house for a year until mom said we had three choices -- go to school for something, get a job, or leave. So I went to college and Mags went to the police academy. I got degrees in library science and applied research. Meanwhile, Maggie graduated second in her class, with medals in marksmanship and hand to hand combat."

The boys looked at Maggie, impressed. "She was partnered with another graduate from her class, Dennis Michaels, who had graduated third. A year or so later they were married. Another year or so and they had a little girl, Christie."

I stopped and swallowed hard. I took Maggie's hand under the table. "When Christie was born, Maggie decided it wasn't fair to Christie to give her two parents in a dangerous job, so she left the department and started her computer business from home. By the way, she's been a computer whiz since she was about 14. Our gang made money doing various computer scams, credit card fraud, things like that. Maggie can break into almost anywhere."

"But she started a completely legitimate business helping companies safeguard their own systems, and she was happy. Christie turned two, and two weeks after that they were all home one evening and Christie wanted some ice cream. There was an ice cream parlor nearby that Christie loved because the servers dressed up as clowns, sorry Sam, and made her laugh."

Maggie already had tears on her face, and my eyes were watering. My throat got too tight to talk and I had to take a few breaths before going on. "On the way home, they were hit by a drunk driver who ran through a red light. Dennis and Christie were killed instantly." I stopped to get ahold of myself again, squeezed Maggie's hand and said, "That was just over two years ago. I've been trying to keep her from self-destructing ever since."

I saw Dean's eyes widen and he got up so quickly he almost knocked down his chair. He came around the table and practically lifted Maggie from her chair and hugged her really tight. She cried then, long wrenching sobs that always broke my heart when I heard them, and I've heard them a lot in the last two years. I looked over at Sam and he was crying too. Dean held Maggie tight as she cried herself out on his shoulder. He just kept rocking her gently and holding her until finally she lifted her head from Dean's shoulder, and said "I'm okay. Thank you Dean."

A blind person could see the love and concern on Dean's face as he looked at her, his own face wet with tears. He looked at me over Maggie's shoulder. "So is that it then? That's the hard thing you had to tell us?"

I sighed long and heavy. "No," I said, "there's still more." Maggie sat back down, and Dean kept looking at her for a moment and then he slowly went back to his seat across the table.

"Okay," he said, "Lay it on us." He listened to me, but he was watching Maggie.

I looked at Maggie again and she nodded that she was all right. I sent a silent thanks to Dean for his reaction. I knew that it had helped her enormously. I looked into Sam's eyes, then into Dean's and back to Sam's. "Remember I said that something had happened at the end of our junior year?" I asked them.

They both nodded, waiting. "Well," I said, swallowing hard. "There's no easy way to say this so, here it is...We killed five people in cold blood!"