041

"The moment has come" said Dumbledore standing up and smiling around at the sea of upturned faces. "The Triwizard tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket. Just to clarify the procedure which we will be following this year. But firstly, le me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr Bartemius Crouch, head of the department of international magical co - operation" there was a smattering of polite applause "and Mr Ludo Bagman, head of the department of magical games and sports" there was a much louder round of applause for bagman that for crouch, perhaps because of his fame as a beater, or simply because he looked so much more likeable. He acknowledged it with a jovial wave of his hands. Crouch did not smile or wave when his name was announced.

"Mr Bagman and Mr Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard tournament" Dumbledore continued "and will be joining myself, Professor karkaroff, madame maxine and miss Olivia Anderson on the panel which will judge the champions efforts" Dumbledore said and at this there was a much louder round of applause. And at the words 'champions' the attentiveness of the listening students seamed to sharpen.

Perhaps Dumbledore had noticed their sudden stillness, for he smiled and said "the casket, then if you please, mr Filch"

Filtch who had been lurking unnoticed in a far corner of the hall, now approached Dumbledore, carrying a great wooden chest, encrusted with jewels. It looked extremely old. A murmur of excited interest rose from the watching students. A few of the first year students stood up on the bench's to get a better look as they were so small.

"The instructions for the tasks the champions will face this year have already been examined by Mr crouch, Mr bagman and miss Anderson" said Dumbledore as filtch placed the chest carefully on the table before him. "And they have made the necessary arrangements for each challenge. There will be three tasks, spaced through the school year, and they will test the champions in many different ways......... their magical powers - their daring - their power of deduction- and of course, their ability to cope with danger"
At his last words, the hall was filled with silence so absolute that nobody seemed to be breathing.

"As you know three champions compete in the tournament" Dumbledore went on calmly "one for each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they preform each of the tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector.......... The goblet of fire" Dumbledore now took out his wand and pointed it at the top of the casket, and slowly he lowered his wand and while he was lowering his wand the case seamed to almost melt away until it revealed a stone cup, with dancing
blue - white flames around the top.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment, and drop it into the goblet" said Dumbledore "aspiring champions have twenty four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance Hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete"

"To ensure that no underaged students yields for the temptation" said Dumbledore "I will be drawing an age line around the goblet of fire once it has been placed in the entrance hall. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross over the line...... finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the goblet of fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding magical contact. There can be no change of heart once you have become champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play, before you drop your name into the goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed, goodnight to you all"

Everyone began moving and heading towards the doors. I reach the doors to see that it had come to a standstill. Karkaroff and his students where frozen in place, all of them looking at Harry.

"Yeah that's Harry potter" said a voice from beside me. Karkaroff spun around. Mad - eye moody was standing right beside me, leaning heavily on his staff, his magical eye was glaring unblinkingly at the durmstrang headmaster.
The colour drained from karkaroff's face as he looked from me to moody. A terrible look of mingled fury and fear came over his face.

"You two!" He said starring at the both of us as though unsure if he was really seeing us.

"Us" said moody, grinning. "And unless you've got something to say to potter, karkaroff, you might want to move, you're blocking the doorway"

It was true, half the students in the hall were now waiting behind them, looking over eachothers shoulders to see what was causing the hold up.

Without another word, Professor karkaroff swept his students away with him. Me and moody watched him out of sight. A look of intense dislike upon both of our faces.

Something I forgot to mention, me and moody were the ones that caught karkaroff all those years ago, the ones that tracked him down and brought him to Azkaban. Me and moody spent weeks together staking out trying to catch him.