Chapter 7

[New character image above]

Delilah woke up the next morning and groaned. She'd never been a morning person, and nausea and grief didn't help her mood.

Sebastian, who'd gotten up earlier, asked, "How are you, sweetheart?"

She simply grunted in response as she got up. "I'm not ready for tonight."

"I know, but I'll be here alongside your family. Okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Is there food?"

"I made eggs, bacon and tea. The tea probably needs a minute or two before it's steeped to how you like."

"With jam?"

"Blackberry."

She smiled. "You're the best."

"How's baby treating you today?"

"Mmm, I feel a little nauseous, but it's tolerable."

"Good. Go on and brush your teeth before I kiss you."

"Is my breath that bad?"

"Yeah."

Delilah brushed her teeth and kissed her husband before making her way to the kitchen. She poured herself a mug of tea with a spoonful of sugar.

Sonia joined her aunt and asked, "Is that the tea Uncle Sebby made for you?"

Delilah nodded. "Yup. How are you, sweetie?"

"I'm good, but everyone's sad today. You look sad too. Why is everyone so sad today?"

Delilah knelt to her niece's level. "Everyone's sad today because we're going to see Babcia in her casket."

"What's a casket?"

"A coffin."

"Oh. Am I gonna see Babcia?"

"That's up to your parents."

"What's Babcia gonna look like?"

"Well, she's going to look like she's sleeping."

"Okay. Can we play a game?"

"After I have breakfast, okay? Maybe you can persuade Sebastian to play with you."

"He's busy. He said he needed to see you."

"I'm up, sweetie. Try asking again."

Sonia nodded and ran off.

As Delilah nibbled her breakfast, Sonia grinned triumphantly and said, "Uncle Sebby says we can play a game before you guys have to get ready to see Babcia's coffin!"

Delilah nodded slowly. "All right, sweetheart."

Jemma Adams walked into the kitchen and grabbed a piece of bacon from the plate in the middle of the table and asked, "How are you, Delilah?"

Delilah shrugged. "I'm honestly not sure. I'm angry, sad, and everything in between."

Sonia looked up at her mother. "Can I see Babcia's coffin?"

Jemma knelt to her daughter's level. "Your father and I talked about it and we decided you can, but if you get scared, you need to tell someone, okay?"

Sonia nodded. "Okay."

Sebastian walked in and stole a piece of bacon from Delilah's plate. Sonia tried to grab a piece as well.

Delilah narrowed her eyes and held her plate close to her chest. "Stop taking my food!"

Sebastian chuckled lightly before saying, "I will do what Evans does. Don't tempt me, Del."

"Sebastian, there are children present!"

"Now which child are you referring to?" he teased with a smirk.

"You're unbelievable. Let me eat my breakfast in peace, unless you'd like to wear egg yoke."

Sonia looked between them and asked, "Do you guys still like each other?"

Sebastian ruffled Sonia's hair. "I like Delilah very much. But she doesn't like being awake this early."

"Aunt Lilah is more fun later."

Delilah frowned. "I am right here."

Sebastian kissed her cheek. "I know, darling."

Sonia sat at the table and she and Sebastian began setting up the game.

Delilah smirked lightly. "Uno? Oh, this will be fun. Jem, you playing?"

Jemma nodded. "Sure. I'll play a round or two."

Sonia glanced at Sebastian. "Can you help me, Uncle Sebby?"

"Absolutely," Sebastian replied. "We'll team up against your mom and aunt."

The women exchanged a look before Delilah said, "You're on."

Sebastian glanced at Delilah. "We'll still be together after this, right?"

"Depends on how hard you go."

"Haha, you think you're funny."

"You set up the opportunity perfectly."

Devin entered, with disheveled hair, and asked, "Have you guys started?"

Jemma shook her head. "No, we're about to. Would you like to play?"

"Absolutely. Anything to beat Little Lilah."

Delilah leaned around Jemma and said to her brother, "I'm going to beat your a- butt, big brother."

"Bring it on, Li."

"Don't go crying when you lose."

"You talk a big game."

"Hey!" Sonia yelled. "Let's play!"

The family started the game and much to her disappointment, Delilah ended up losing. Jemma won and smiled lightly, satisfied with the outcome.