Chapter 12

[The movie in this chapter came out in December 2015, so Delilah is nearly six months along. Civil War screening soon (they have to edit the movie and all, just like a book)!]

Delilah held up two movie tickets and smiled. "In the Heart of the Sea. It's about a whaling ship in the 19th century."

"Isn't Holland in that?" Sebastian asked.

She nodded. "Mhmm. And Hemsworth. Ooh, the book is good too. Although, I nearly threw up. Pregnancy and reading about drawing lots to sacrifice multiple lives doesn't pair well."

"What are you talking about, Delilah?"

In as menacing a voice as she could manage, she said, "Cannibalism."

"I don't think-"

"I want to see it. Just promise me you won't search through anyone's bag."

"I gotta make sure their stuff won't blow up."

"That doesn't justify it."

"You knew what you were getting into. How about we stay home and watch something? I know how much you enjoy Political Animals."

"Dear, I applaud your attempt to dissuade me, but we're going. Get your shoes on."

"You're bossy."

"And you're going to make us late. Hurry!"

He sighed and put on his shoes.

Delilah, pleased she'd gotten her way, handed him his keys.

They made their way to the movie theater and after getting their tickets scanned, made their way to the concession stand.

The two got popcorn, drinks and candy. They got napkins, salt for the popcorn, and straws. Once they'd done so, they entered the theater and found their seats.

Shortly after the movie started, Delilah began nibbling at the popcorn. Her family had always waited until after the movie started to eat popcorn, and that was something she carried into adulthood.

Along the line, someone left for what Delilah guessed to be the bathroom, leaving their bag.

Sebastian noticed and started getting up.

Delilah placed a hand on his shoulder and whispered, "Don't do it."

"I have to make sure there's no bombs," he whispered back.

She slunk down in her seat as Sebastian snuck through the theater and looked through the woman's bag.

He returned a few moments later with a triumphant smile. "No bombs, my dear."

Delilah shook her head and sighed. "Why are you like this?"

"I have to keep my wife and future child safe."

"You're unbelievable. Eat your candy and don't look through someone else's bag."

The woman returned to her seat.

Sebastian settled back and ate his candy in peace. He didn't want to make his wife more annoyed than she clearly was.

During what Delilah figured to be the climax of the movie, Sebastian got up to go to the bathroom. She rolled her eyes, but otherwise ignored her husband's movie theater antics.

When Sebastian returned, she was watching intently and didn't notice his arrival.

The part Delilah was most wary of began and she covered her eyes, peeking through her fingers.

Sebastian wrapped an arm around her shoulders and when the scene ended, he said softly, "It's over."

Delilah removed her hands from her face and watched the remainder of the movie.

When it ended, she asked, "What'd you think?"

"I found it interesting. You own the book, right?"

Delilah nodded. "You want to read it?"

"Please. What'd you think of the movie?"

"It was good. I always enjoy a historically accurate movie and this seemed to be reasonably historically accurate to me. Even that scene wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It was more graphic in the book."

"Isn't that exciting. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though."

"I'll have to get it on DVD when it's released."

As they left the theater, Sebastian asked, "Are you hungry?"

"I could go for a little something," she replied. "How are you hungry? You ate a whole bag of candy! And about a quarter of mine!"

Sebastian laughed at her outburst and said, "It's a talent. Where do you want to go?"

"Somewhere good that we can get nuggets and fries."

"So not McDonald's."

"Absolutely not. Mmm. Chick-Fil-A is good."

"It's Sunday."

Delilah pouted. "Oh. Right."

Sebastian took her hand and said, "How about we go home and I make breakfast for dinner? That way you can watch your favorite show of mine and we can have a night off?"

"Yeah, okay. That sounds fun."

They made their way back home and he said, "Get in comfy clothes and relax. Dinner is my treat."

"Seb, are you sure?"

He nodded and kissed her. "I'm sure."

Delilah made her way to their room and put on a pair of sweatpants and one of Sebastian's sweatshirts. She threw her hair into a messy bun and left the room.

Loki walked up to her and meowed.

Delilah picked the kitten up and sat on the couch. She turned on the TV and got the show ready.

Sebastian soon appeared with a tray of food and said, "Tea is steeping."

"Thank you," she singsonged.

Sebastian began petting Loki, keeping the food away as Delilah played the first episode.

She curled into him as they watched the show.

About halfway through, Sebastian got up and brought over the teapot and two mugs. He sat next to his wife again and poured her tea before handing her the mug and warned, "Careful, it's hot."

Delilah nodded and gingerly sipped her tea. Loki sniffed at the tea, then curled up in the small space between Delilah and Sebastian and closed his eyes.

Sebastian pulled Delilah closer to him as they watched. This wasn't a moment he'd trade for the world. He held such moments with her close to his heart.

He glanced down, hearing soft breaths, and saw that Delilah had fallen asleep sometime during the third episode. He paused the episode, grabbed a blanket from the back of the couch and covered them both. He rested his head on hers, running a gentle thumb up and down her arm.

"I love you, Del," he whispered. "So fucking much."