Chapter 26

After the car accident, Delilah chose to return home to New York. While her family was helping, she wanted the comfort of her husband's arms.

But, at the moment, she was getting a peppermint tea.

As soon as she got her tea, she left the coffee shop.

Maybe five feet in front of her, she noticed him.

"Oh, shit," she muttered.

Unfortunately, he'd locked eyes with her and was coming straight towards her.

Delilah turned and quickly walked the other way.

Her upper arm was grabbed and she pulled it away, barely managing to hold onto her scalding tea. "What the fuck, Rick?!"

"Do you know how long I've been looking for you?!" Rick yelled.

"You and I are old news. Why are you following me?"

"Because whether you realize it or not, you're still mine."

"I was never yours, Rick. I need to get back to my husband."

"Right. Your husband. Sebastian fucking Stan."

"At least he treats me better than you ever did. You're the reason I struggled with an eating disorder!"

"That's because you needed to lose weight. You still do."

"No, dipshit, I don't. Leave me the hell alone before I call the police."

Rick took her phone and threw it on the ground. "You're not calling anyone."

Delilah ran as fast as she could and ran into Sebastian. "Oh, thank God!"

Sebastian frowned. "Del? Hate to tell you, but I'm not God. You all right?"

"No, Rick is-"

"Delilah, get your ass over here!" Rick yelled, stalking up to them.

Sebastian pushed Delilah behind him and narrowed his eyes. "Leave her alone."

"If it isn't her big hero."

"I'm warning you. Stay away from her."

"What are you gonna do if I don't?"

"I'm gonna punch the shit out of you."

"Uh-huh, sure. Bring it on."

Sebastian stepped closer to Rick with a stony expression. "No. Not here. You stay the hell away from my wife and if I find out you're following her or if you do something to her, I won't hesitate to have your ass arrested. Capisce?"

"You think you're so tough, don't you."

"When it comes to protecting those I love, yeah. I am. Get the fuck out of my sight right now."

Rick smirked at Delilah and walked away.

When he was gone, Sebastian faced Delilah. "Seriously, are you okay?"

Delilah's mouth formed a word, but she couldn't get it out. All that came out was gasping air.

"Okay, hey, I'm right here. Let's count your fingers, yeah?"

Delilah didn't seem to hear him. All the fear and anxiety surrounding her ex that she'd burrowed deep began to surface. Air was needed for the baby. She couldn't get air. She was dying. The baby was going to die. Her panic increased.

Sebastian took her hands. "Del, I need you to breathe for me. Repeat after me, okay?" He took a deep breath in and let it out.

Delilah, trying to copy him, took a wheezing gasp. She began coughing and Sebastian ran a hand up and down her back.

Oddly enough, the coughing seemed to help her panic. Her breaths slowly returned to normalcy.

She wavered on her feet and Sebastian sat her down in a chair. It was then he noticed her hand.

He gently lifted her left hand and she winced. "What happened?"

"Scalding tea," she murmured. "That fucking bastard injured me and caused a panic attack!"

"Del, hey. I need you to calm down."

Delilah turned to him with an icy glare. "Calm down? I don't want to calm down! He - ugh!" She let out a scream and kicked the table.

"Delilah! Listen to me. I'm not going to let him near you again."

"What, are you going to put a leash on me or be my bodyguard? Because hell to the no. I love you, but around you constantly would kill me!"

"We can figure that out later. Right now, let's treat your hand and get you some chocolate."

"I don't need chocolate."

"Yes you do. You just had a panic attack. Right now, adrenaline is coursing through you, but as soon as that wears off, you're gonna be wishing you had some."

"You know me so fucking well," she said in a condescending tone.

"I should hope so. Now, come on. Let's get something to treat that burn and we'll get chocolate."

"I don't want chocolate. I want a drink."

"Which you can't have."

"Yeah. Stupid pregnancy. I mean- I-"

"I get it, Delilah."

She let out a sigh. "Thank you for rescuing me. If you hadn't been there-"

He kissed her forehead. "I swore to keep you safe. Now, about that chocolate. Do you want milk, dark or white?"

"You know which kind I prefer."

"Dark it is, my dear."

They made their way to a drugstore and he bought some gauze, some medical tape and ointment to help treat burns as well as a dark chocolate bar that Delilah picked out.

"It's like I'm being treated by Dr. Beck," Delilah joked.

Sebastian offered a small smile. "You're never going to stop referencing the movies and shows I've been in, are you?"

"Nah, probably not."

"Then yes, I suppose it is."

They left the store and sat on a bench outside.

Sebastian rubbed the ointment on Delilah's injured hand and she winced. "Sorry."

She let out a soft hiss as the gauze was placed over her burn and taped on.

"Have I earned chocolate now?" Delilah asked tiredly.

"You always do. You want it now or do you just want to sleep?"

"I dunno. Both is good. Where's Kati?"

"Chris and Anthony are watching her. They insisted on doing so. God knows what they're up to. Kati's starting to get to the age where she's into everything."

Delilah mumbled something incoherent and her head fell onto Sebastian's shoulder.

Sebastian gently pushed her off, stood, making sure to let her head fall gently, and swept her in his arms. "Let's get you home, printesa. You've had a hell of an afternoon."