Chapter 10

After a family lunch at the church consisting of chips, sandwiches, soda or water and a small dessert, the family made their way to the cemetery for the burial.

Delilah wasn't sure if she had any tears left to shed, but she half expected to break down once again, given her heightened emotions.

Sebastian kissed Delilah's temple and took her hand.

"When are we gonna see Babcia again?"

Sebastian glanced back at his niece. "We're not going to see her again."

"But is she gonna watch over me and everyone?"

"I think she will." He glanced at Delilah who was holding the bridge of her nose. "You all right?"

"No," Delilah answered. "I feel sick and sad and angry."

"Is it morning sickness?"

She glanced at him with an irritated look. "I hate feeling like this."

Sonia reached her hand closer to her aunt, her seatbelt straining, and said, "Babcia is gonna save you."

Delilah's lips curled up lightly at the little girl's logic. "She will in a way. She already has many many times."

"Babcia is good at saving people. One time, Daddy got really really sad and he and Mommy were yelling and he didn't come out of his and Mommy's room for a long time. Mommy told him to talk to somebody and he did and now he's happy again."

"Your dad never told me that."

"He doesn't like talking about it."

Sebastian glanced in the rearview mirror. "No one does. The important thing is your dad got help and he's doing a lot better now."

"Maybe Aunt Lilah could get help like Daddy did."

Delilah pursed her lips. The last thing she wanted was to go back to a therapist. She buried a lot of issues and the idea of talking about them to a stranger made her uncomfortable.

Sebastian nodded slowly, glancing at his wife. "I think that's a great idea."

Had there not been a child in the car, Delilah would have gone off verbally. A distasteful side-eye told Sebastian enough.

Sonia looked out the window at the cemetery. "Are we leaving flowers for Babcia? She likes daisies and roses."

Delilah's soft smile returned as she replied, "Your parents brought the flowers we'll be leaving by Babcia's grave."

"But won't they die? Like her?"

"In time, yes. That's why they'll be replaced every so often."

"I wanna help replace them."

"I think your mother would like that very much."

They walked towards the grave and Sebastian took Delilah's hand wordlessly. Sonia grabbed her aunt's other hand and smiled up at her aunt who smiled back.

The pastor spoke, honoring the life they were about to lay in the ground and each female was handed a rose.

Delilah blinked back tears before setting the rose on her mother's coffin and a sob escaped her lips as she fell into Sebastian's arms.

He ran a hand up and down her back and whispered, "It's okay, printesa. She's in a better place."

Delilah struggled to keep her tears in. She'd already cried enough. How many more tears did she have? Was it the pregnancy or the grief making her cry as much as she was?

Devin walked up to his sister and squeezed her shoulder gently.

Delilah pulled herself from her husband's arms and rested her head on her brother's shoulder.

Devin sniffled softly. While he wasn't one to shy away if he got emotional, he preferred to be alone to cry.

Sebastian wordlessly placed his hand on his brother-in-law's other shoulder and Devin gave a nod of thanks.

When the burial ended, Delilah stood staring at the coffin.

She pressed a kiss to her fingers before placing them to the coffin. "Goodbye, Mama. I wish I could have told you such and that I love you one last time."

"She knew," her father said, pulling his daughter into his arms. "She knew, Mała róża."

(Little rose (Polish))