Chapter 8

Delilah stared at herself in the mirror, running a hand along her small bump. A tear rolled down her face and she wiped it away. To say she wasn't ready was an understatement.

She put on her mother's pearl necklace and touched it gently.

A knock on the door sounded and Sebastian asked, "Are you ready?"

"No," she answered. "I mean, physically I am, but-" Her voice cut off as her breaths increased and she whispered, "No, please. Not now."

The door opened and Sebastian entered, concerned by her sudden silence.

Delilah was gripping the edges of the sink, breathing out as she struggled against her panic.

Sebastian took her hands and rubbed the back of them gently. Delilah rested her forehead to his as she slowly breathed in and out, counting as she did so.

As her breaths calmed, the tears began and she couldn't keep them in.

Sebastian dried her eyes with his thumbs and pulled her into his arms as she sobbed.

She soon pulled away and dried her eyes. "I'm okay. I'm okay."

"You're not, but that's okay," Sebastian told her softly. "Are you ready?"

All it took was a single look to tell him she wasn't.

Sonia ran in and smiled. "You look so pretty, Aunt Lilah. So do you, Uncle Sebby. Mommy and Daddy said I could ride with you guys if that's okay."

Sebastian glanced at Delilah who nodded and he said, "Make sure you've got a booster seat in the car."

"Daddy's putting it in." She hugged Delilah. "It's okay. Babcia still loves you."

Delilah struggled against another wave of tears as she said shakily, "I know, sweetheart."

"I love you too."

"I love you, sweetie. Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah. Can we listen to the Tangled music?"

"I think the Tangled music is a great idea. Seb?"

Sebastian smiled. "I agree. Why don't you make sure your dad puts it in the car, okay?"

Sonia nodded and ran from the room.

Delilah put in her earrings and sighed. "Okay. Let's do this."

Sebastian kissed her cheek. "I'll be by your side."

"I know you will, and that's one of the many things I love most about you."

Sebastian rested his forehead to hers and she closed her eyes a moment before nodding.

He took her hand and they left the bathroom.

Sonia ran up and asked, "Are you guys finally ready?"

Sebastian chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, we're finally ready."

"Good. Daddy put the Tangled music in. Mommy's yelling and Daddy's yelling back."

Sebastian picked Sonia up and set her on his shoulders. She giggled and held on as tight as she could.

The threw walked out to the car and when they reached it, Sebastian lowered Sonia and buckled her into her seat.

Delilah got into the passengers seat and glanced at her phone to see no notifications.

Sebastian sat in the drivers seat and turned on the CD. Almost instantly, Sonia began scream-singing When Will My Life Begin.

Delilah closed her eyes, fighting tears and nausea.

Sebastian glanced at Delilah and without looking, fished for a ginger candy and handed it to her before saying, "We have time before we have to be there. Did you want to stop and get some peppermint or ginger tea?"

"Please," Delilah mumbled.

"Aunt Lilah, are you okay?" Sonia asked.

"I'll be okay, sweetie."

"Is the baby not being nice?"

"The baby is making me feel sick. But that usually happens early on."

"Will you stop getting sick soon?"

"I hope so."

"Baby, be nice. Uncle Sebby, can I have a hot cocoa?"

Sebastian glanced at Delilah who nodded and he said, "Sure. We can do a small one for you."

"You guys are the best aunt and uncle in the whole wide world!"

Delilah laughed then exclaimed, "Ooh Mother Knows Best." She began singing as she took Sebastian's hand.

Sebastian pulled into a Starbucks drive-thru and ordered their drinks.

Once their drinks came, Sebastian handed Sonia hers and said, "Be careful. It's hot." He handed her a straw.

"No straw," Sonia argued.

"Yes straw. That way you're less likely to spill in the car or on yourself."

"No straw!"

Delilah turned to face her niece. "Sonia, please use the straw. That's a very hot drink and Seb and I don't want you to get hurt."

Sonia sighed. "Okay. Do we have the good fishies?"

Delilah smiled as she pulled out a bag of rainbow goldfish. "Did you think we'd forget the good fishies?"

"Can I have some?"

Delilah handed Sonia some goldfish and ate some herself. She offered some to Sebastian and he opened his mouth. She put a couple in and he smiled his thanks.

When they reached the funeral home, Sonia unbuckled and grabbed her hot chocolate.

As Delilah got out, she stared at the funeral home and swallowed heavily.

Sebastian ushered Sonia in front of him and took Delilah's hand.

They entered and as they walked into the room, Sebastian stood back with Sonia as to give his wife a moment.

Delilah stared at her mother, rapidly blinking as she gasped and whispered, "Mama."

Sebastian walked up behind Delilah and hugged her, resting his hands on her stomach. She fell back into him and Sonia hugged her aunt before running to her father.

Devin joined his sister's side and rubber her shoulder gently. He picked up his daughter and said, "Just like we told you, Babcia looks like she's sleeping."

"Can she hear me?" Sonia asked.

Jemma shook her head. "No, sweetie, she can't."

"Why not?"

"Because she's gone. She passed away."

"Does that mean what?"

"It means she died."

"Oh. Will she come back?"

"No, dear. Death is final."

"That's stupid."

"I agree, as I'm sure your aunt, uncle and father would."

Sonia stared at her grandmother a moment then said, "I'm scared, Mommy."

Jemma took her daughter from her husband and stroked her hair. "You were very brave, my dear."

Eventually, the viewing ended and as soon as they got home, Delilah went to the room she and Sebastian were sharing, laid on the bed, her head on the pillow, and cried.

Sebastian entered the room and stroked her back. He never liked seeing her cry, as it broke his heart to see her so sad.

Delilah shifted so she was cuddled into Sebastian and he stroked a hand up and down her arm as her eyes fluttered shut. He leaned down and kissed her forehead before running a gentle hand along her abdomen with a soft smile.