Chapter 19

Delilah woke to a figure standing next to her bed.

She ran a hand through her hair as she asked, "Sonia, what are you doing in here?"

"Katia's crying a lot. Where's Uncle Sebby?"

"He left for an audition. Where are your parents?"

"They went on a breakfast date. I think Katia is hungry."

Delilah yawned as she got up and went to tend to her crying daughter.

As soon as Katia saw her mother, her tears ceased and her cries turned to whines which soon turned to gurgles.

Delilah picked her daughter up and smiled. "Hi, sweet girl."

"Aunt Lilah, can we do an aunt cousin day?"

She thought for a moment. "I don't see why not. I have no plans today. What about your mom, can she join?"

"No, I want a you and Katia and me day."

"All right, what do you want to do?"

"Have you seen the new skeleton movie?"

"You mean Coco?"

"Yeah, that one!"

"No, I haven't. Did you want to see it?"

"Yes! But is it okay for Katia?"

"I should think so. It doesn't seem too scary."

"Why's there skeletons in it?"

"The story is about Dia de los Muertos which translates to Day of the Dead. On November 2, people, mostly of Hispanic origin, honor their dead."

"Why? That's weird."

"Well, it's kind of similar to how you honor the birth of a baby 2,000 years before."

"So it's like Christmas?"

"Sort of. Pictures of those who've passed on are set out and the family gathers together to remember them."

"Oh. That's cool. Can we go see it now? And can we get ice cream? But milk hurts me."

"Tell you what. We'll see a movie, get lunch and maybe dessert."

"And shopping?"

"You remind me so much of Babcia. She loved shopping. Sure, we can do that."

"Disney store?"

Delilah nodded. "Absolutely. Maybe you can help me pick out something for Katia."

"And Uncle Sebby, Mommy, Daddy and the baby?"

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. I need to get ready. Do you think you can play with Katia for a little while?"

"Yes!"

"I'll try to be quick."

Delilah showered, got dressed, put on a little makeup, blow dried her hair and made her way back to her niece and daughter.

As soon as Sonia saw her aunt, she put on her shoes and grinned. "Let's go!"

"Hang on, sweetheart. I need to make sure Kati's diaper bag is ready."

She checked to make sure she had everything Katia would need and slipped on her shoes.

Once the girls were buckled in, Delilah sent a text to Sebastian, Devin and Jemma that she'd be taking Sonia and Katia out for a few hours.

They arrived at the theater and Sonia quickly got out and impatiently waited for Katia to be unbuckled.

Sonia frowned and asked, "Is she gonna be quiet for the movie?"