Chapter 13

[TW for sensitive folk. This chapter deals with ED, as that's something Delilah has had in her past, and it's something she's still recovering from, and obviously due to her current physicality, she especially needs to eat.]

Delilah stared at the plate of food in front of her.

Old, long-buried lies began forming in her mind. You've gained too much weight. You're fat. He won't love you anymore if you're not skinny.

She pushed the plate away and stood.

Sebastian entered the apartment to see an untouched plate of food. "Del? Are you going to eat this?"

Delilah shook her head. "Changed my mind. I'm not hungry."

His eyes narrowed slightly as he searched her expression for a fault. "You sure that's the only reason?"

"Yeah. Now, if you'll-"

He grabbed her arm, stopping her. "Delilah, when's the last time you ate something?"

"This morning." She made her way to their bedroom.

Sebastian followed her and said, "Mhmm. You're lying. Please tell me you're not going to starve yourself again."

"I'm not going to starve myself again."

"Del, I hate to say it, but I don't believe you. Think of our child."

"I'm simply not hungry!"

"Delilah, do you think I haven't noticed how you've barely eaten the past week or so? Please don't try to tell me that it's morning sickness, because I know it isn't."

"How would you know?"

"You haven't gotten sick the past month. It's a shame what you're doing."

"I can still barely stomach most foods!" Delilah yelled as she began gathering some things together.

"What are you doing?"

"Leaving. If you're going to accuse me, I'm going to leave."

"You're seriously threatening me right now?"

"If you're going to make false accusations, yes!"

"Stop yelling! Please."

Delilah dropped the book in her hand and met Sebastian's eyes. She closed her eyes as severe cramps began.

"What?" he asked in a slightly annoyed/concerned tone.

"I think we need to go to the hospital."

"It's too early."

"Unless I'm mistaken, which I doubt, baby is coming soon."

Sebastian ran to gather clothes and other sorts of things he thought they'd need.

Delilah groaned quietly and said, "A book?"

"You never know. How are you doing?"

"Absolutely wonderful. Seb, we gotta hurry. If it's actually time-"

"Labor can last for awhile I've heard."

"I just want to get to the fucking hospital!"

"Everything's set; I hope. Let's get you into the car."

The two made their way to his car and he helped her in.

As they drove, Delilah glanced at Sebastian. "I think my water just broke. Baby is definitely coming."

Sebastian pressed down on the accelerator. "We're almost there."

When they arrived at the hospital, he scrambled out, grabbed the bag and helped Delilah out as she tried to breathe through her pain.

The two entered the hospital and he said, "Her water broke on the way here. The baby's coming!"

Delilah was placed in a wheelchair and rushed to a delivery room.

Grueling, painful hours later, the cries of a baby filled the air.

The doctor smiled and said, "Congratulations, Mom and Dad. It's a girl."

The baby was cleaned off and swaddled.

A nurse placed the newborn in Delilah's arms before saying, "We will need to take her to the NICU shortly. She'll have to stay there for a few weeks just to help her develop a little more."

Delilah nodded, looking down at her newborn daughter. "You certainly surprised us, little one."

Sebastian smiled and blinked back tears as he kissed Delilah on the forehead, then gently kissed their daughter's.

"Welcome to the world, Katia Liliana Stan."

After another kiss, Katia was placed in a bed and the nurse said, "We're going to take her to the NICU. Mom and Dad, when you're ready, you can come."

The bed was wheeled away and Sebastian glanced at Delilah and said, "I'm so-"

"I'm sorry," Delilah apologized. "You were right. My past was catching up to me at an inopportune time. Do you think I caused her to come early?"

Sebastian shook his head. "No, I think she just wanted to be here to experience the world earlier than most. Del, I'm so proud of you."

"But our fight- I-"

"You're forgiven, Delilah. I said some pretty shitty things, and I'm so sorry for that."

"You're forgiven as well. I'm sorry for what I said, too."

The two shared a smile before Delilah said in a soft, shocked tone, "We have a little girl."

"Yes we do, printesa."

Delilah and Sebastian were taken to the NICU and to Katia's bed. She took her daughter's tiny hand and smiled softly.

Sebastian rested a hand on Delilah's back as he sat next to her and gently stroked the top of Katia's head as he said, "Hopefully these next few weeks go by quickly, little one. Your mom and I can't wait to take you home."

Katia Liliana Stan

Born: January 7, 2016 at 5:37 AM

[So that was a surprise. I wasn't totally planning on baby Stan to come this early, but at the same time, I love that she did.]