Chapter 28

[This chapter may be triggering to some, so fair warning.

I'm sorry for my cruelness.]

After breakfast, the little family turned on Christmas music, as Delilah always liked doing, and they soon began opening gifts.

Katia kept going after all the gifts, trying to open them, and her parents had to take away the ones that weren't hers.

Delilah helped Katia open a particularly difficult package. Inside was a stuffed animal and a shirt that said 'Best Big Sister'.

She chuckled softly. "That's definitely something Jemma would give."

When the finished opening the presents, Sebastian handed a small box to Katia and said, "Can you give this to Mama?"

Katia handed the box to Delilah and her mother took it.

Delilah gave Sebastian a quizzical look as she pulled off the wrapping paper and the bow.

Inside, was a photo album and scrapbooking materials.

Sebastian moved to sit next to Delilah before saying, "That photo album is the start of you and me to now. There's a bunch of photos in there that you, others and I've taken and room for plenty more. And the scrapbooking materials, well, I thought you could start a book or two; or more. You talk about wanting to do it, but you haven't yet, so I figured I'd help you get started."

Delilah smiled and kissed him. "This is wonderful, Seb. Thank you." She rested a gentle hand on her stomach. "We can document baby's journey as he or she grows."

Katia crawled up to her father and he sat her on his lap.

Delilah grabbed a board book copy of A Christmas Carol that Katia had gotten for Christmas and began reading.

After a moment, Delilah paused and frowned.

Katia pointed to the book and let out a small whine.

"Del, are you okay?" Sebastian asked.

Delilah slowly shook her head. "No, I don't think I am."

"What's going on?"

"My stomach is cramping and the lower part of my back hurts."

"Maybe you slept on it wrong?"

"No, that doesn't coincide with what I'm feeling." She winced and brought her knees to her chest.

Sebastian gently moved Katia from his lap. "Hang on, little one."

He picked Delilah up, one arm under her knees and the other around her shoulders.

Delilah continued cuddling into herself to try to ease the pain, but it wasn't doing any good.

She wiped away a tear and said, "Can you call the doctor, please?"

Sebastian nodded and kissed her forehead.

Delilah put on a pad to attempt to control the bleeding and curled up on the floor once again.

Katia wandered in and sat next to her mother. She held her new stuffed bear and offered it to her mother who smiled briefly.

Sebastian returned and stroked Delilah's hair back. "We're gonna go to the hospital, okay? Chris offered to watch Katia."

Delilah nodded with a wince and Sebastian picked her up again.

A knock sounded at the door and Sebastian managed to open it.

Chris stood on the other side and asked, "How's she doing?"

Sebastian's gaze told his friend everything.

Chris nodded. "Take all the time you need. Kati and I will have a fun time."

"Thanks, man. For such short notice especially. And on Christmas of all days."

Katia ran to Chris and he picked her up, waving to Sebastian and Delilah as they left.

Chris took Katia to his apartment and made her lunch.

Meanwhile, at the hospital, Delilah's pain was still bad, but it had lessened slightly.

The doctor entered the room and with a melancholy expression, said, "I'm so sorry, but I'm afraid you've had a miscarriage. That can often happen in a severe accident like you had. Sometimes it takes a little while for side effects or results to occur."

Delilah looked away and Sebastian took her hand as he said in as confident a tone he could muster, "We'll get through this. It'll be okay."

She turned to her husband and said sharply, "Don't. Just fucking don't."

"Delilah-"

She pulled her hand away and laid down, keeping her back to him.

Sebastian let out a sigh and nodded. "Whenever you're ready, I'm here."

Wordlessly, Delilah took his hand and he gently stroked the back of hers as he wiped away a tear of his own.