4

I smiled at the help wanted sign that hadn't been moved since I rolled into Charming a few nights ago. My car looked basic and out of place on the lot full of Harleys and Cadillacs. Hopefully I'd be able to get my Harley out here soon and start riding again.

I knocked on the office door before pushing it in quietly.

"Can I help you?" The woman at the desk snapped harshly.

"Are y'all still hiring?" I responded softly, mentally cursing myself for letting my drawl slip through.

"Yeah but not you sweetheart," she said.

"I'm a mechanic. Five years experience and a few built from scratch bikes to prove it," I said. "Wayne said to tell you to talk to him if you needed a reference out here."

"You're Wayne's new tenant?" She asked. I nodded slowly. "Not what I was picturing. You ride?"

"Yes ma'am, just as soon as I can get my ride out here," I said. She nodded and motioned to the couch with a clipboard in her hands.

"What's you're name sweetheart?" She asked.

"Nicole Thompson but most people call me Nick or Nikki," I said.

"I'll tell the guys I hired a mechanic named Nick to fuck with em," she said with a soft laugh. She continued to ask me questions about my experience and life before moving to Charming.

"What gives?" She asked after the interview was over.

"I'm sorry?" I asked, narrowing my eyes slightly. She sighed a little.

"I know a girl on the run when I see one," she said.

"Just getting a fresh start," I said.

"Oh and one final question," she said. "Any gang or motorcycle club relations, attachments or otherwise?"

"Uh, no ma'am," I said.

"Well, welcome to your first. The Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Mother Charter is based right there in that clubhouse. The Sons are just a group of mechanics and motorcycle enthusiasts," she said. The way she spoke made it obvious that if the cops came snooping around that was all I was to know about the crew.

"Mechanics and motorcycle enthusiasts," I said. "Probably mixed with some misogyny and booze."

She glared at me.

"Don't worry Gemma, I'll fit right in with em," I said. "But I got it. Mechanics and motorcycle enthusiasts."

"So does 8-4 Monday to Friday work?" She asked.

"Yeah and I'm cool with staying late to finish up any last minute things," I said.

"Already a better worker than half my mechanics. Alright sweetheart. Report for duty at 8:00 am sharp tomorrow morning. I'll have Lowell get you trained in our ways and some time next week you'll ride with a couple guys to train on repos," she said.

"Thanks again Gemma," I said. She nodded and hugged me before telling me I was free to go.

I drove around for a little while, just taking in what I could about Charming. I had to stop for gas and run a few other errands anyways.

Every time I stopped I saw a Sons of Anarchy kutte. I rolled my eyes a little. They had no clue who I was but I was sure to keep an eye on them. None of them paid me any mind. I was able to run my errands in peace and return home with enough time for a long and relaxing shower before dinner.

After I ate I ran through my mental checklists but everything was falling into place. I called Aubrey to let her know what was going on for me and to tell her where she could have my bike sent to. She agreed to have it delivered, refusing to let me pay the couple hundred dollars she'd promised her brothers to drive it out here.

"They hurt my baby, I hurt them," I reminded her.

"Trust me Nick," she said. "I know."