46

The next morning, I woke up in Happy's teenage bedroom, alone. I got up and headed down the hall. I froze next to Maria's room as I heard something. I glanced through the slightly open door and sure enough Happy was sitting on her bed. I couldn't tell if he was crying or not but I decided to give him a couple minutes. I walked down to the kitchen and started on some coffee and breakfast. I made a few plates and went to get Happy and his aunt. They both made their way to the table and sat down. We ate in silence. Happy didn't eat much and I was sure that was due to his inability to process his emotions.

I cleaned the table as Happy's aunt went to Maria's bedroom and sat down. I was standing at the sink doing dishes when Happy walked in.

"Gonna ride. Clear my head," he said.

"Be careful. And be back soon. We've gotta plan her funeral," I said. He just nodded. He tried to turn and storm away but I caught his hand.

"I love you," I said, kissing him quickly. He just nodded again. "I'll call Kozik and Jax."

He shrugged me off and stormed out. I finished the dishes before going to get dressed quickly. I grabbed my phone and headed to the living room to make some phone calls. I decided to call Koz first.

After a couple rings he answered.

"What's up pretty thing?"

"Koz, it's Ma," I said.

"What's going on?"

"She passed away early this morning. Hap and I made it to Bakersfield last night but I don't think he's handling it well," I said. "He said he was going for a ride to clear his head like half an hour ago. Hasn't spoken much since we got here."

"I'm sorry. You holding up?"

"I'll be okay," I said.

"I'll be down as soon as I can," he said. I thanked him and the line went dead.

Next up I had the joy of calling Jax. He answered shortly after the fifth ring.

"Hey, you seen Hap?"

"We're in Bakersfield," I said.

"His mom?"

"She passed away last night," I said. "I don't know how the next couple months play out Jax."

"Hey, you two need anything call okay? The club will take care of ya."

"I know Jax. Just wanted y'all to know why he is MIA."

"You're a real good old lady Nick. Don't let him push you away," Jax said.

"I won't," I said. My thoughts raced at that. I guess I always knew it was a possibility that this could end our marriage but I never thought it would. I pressed my hand to my stomach and prayed for Happy, and Ma, and our baby. May she grow up with two parents.

"I've gotta go. We've got a table meeting. Tell Hap I'll catch him up after the funeral."

"He's not here," I said softly, my eyes watering again. "Went for a ride but I'll let him know when he gets home."

"You call Kozik yet?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Good. He'll take care of you both so you can grieve," Jax said. "Goodbye Nick."

"Bye," I said softly and the line went dead.

I sat in the silence for a while longer, hating myself for not being able to protect Happy. Just when he'd started to open up and feel again he lost his mother. Now I may never be able to get him to open up again. And that terrifies me to no end.

I started to do some housework to pass the time before I heard a bike pull up out front.