45

A couple of months after the wedding, everything kind of hit the fan. The club was in deep shit, Happy was gone on runs a lot more, and I was showing up at TM sick every morning.

"Baby," Gemma said as I walked from the clubhouse back to the garage. "Get in the damn car."

"Gem, I'm not pregnant," I said.

"It's been just over two months since the wedding. The fuck you're not," she said. "Get in the damn car."

I rolled my eyes but had to go with her. The guys were currently on a week long run somewhere doing something. Hap isn't telling me as much because we don't see much of each other right now.

Gemma drove us to the hospital where one of the doctors ordered some blood work and a urine sample to test for pregnancy. Sure enough I was about nine weeks pregnant. They did an ultrasound before they let me leave.

When we got back to the lot, Hap's bike was sitting by itself outside the clubhouse.

"Where is he?" I asked, storming into the clubhouse.

"His dorm," one of the prospects answered.

I ran to the back and shoved the door open. He jumped slightly as he turned to see who it was. His eyes were watering slightly as I ran over to him.

"What's going on?" I asked softly, sitting down with him.

"Ma, she's getting worse. I need to go be with her. I-."

"Then let's go. Why are we still here?"

"Wanted you to come with me."

"I would've met you in Bakersfield," I said.

"You were supposed to be here. Where have you been?" He was frustrated and going through a lot so I tried to not take his anger personally.

"The hospital," I said.

"Is everything okay?"

"Perfect," I said, handing him the ultrasound images.

"You're-?" But he couldn't get the words out.

"Nine ish weeks," I said. "Yeah, been coming in sick the last couple mornings so Gem dragged me to the hospital."

"Nick this is amazing," he said.

I nodded a little. "Let's go tell Ma."

He agreed and we headed out to my car. Luckily I'd drove it in this morning instead of riding my bike. We took off without telling anyone else and Happy drove us as quick as he could to Bakersfield.

When we arrived there that afternoon, our first stop was the hospital she was in.

"I'm looking for Maria Lowman. I'm her son," Happy said. He'd clearly done this a couple of times.

"Room 348," the woman at the desk said. Happy and I both took off for the room. When we reached it he grabbed my hand tightly. His mother was asleep in the hospital bed. She looked frail and in pain. His aunt was sitting next to her and crying softly.

"Ma," he said, falling to his knees beside her bed. I placed my hand on his shoulder and cried silently. There was an air about the room that she wasn't going to pull through this time.

We stayed there, Happy stone faced as his aunt and I cried, for hours. The doctors came in to check on things once in a while but it was pretty quiet in the room.

"Hap, mijo," she said. Her voice was soft and broken. She sounded like she was in pain and ready to give up.

"Ma," he said.

"Nick."

"I'm here Ma," I said. She nodded once and closed her eyes again.

"Ma, you're going to be a grandma," Happy said. She smiled a little but didn't say anything.

"I love you Ma."

His voice was breaking. Knowing my old man, I wasn't sure how he was going to get through this. Usually his problems are settled with a kill and a good fuck but I wasn't convinced that would work here.

Because Maria was doing so poorly they let the three of us stay with her overnight. About two in the morning, she passed away, Happy holding her hand as the first tear I've ever seen him cry slid down his cheek.