7

When I clocked in the next morning, Happy was sitting at one of the picnic tables across the lot. I glanced at Gemma who seemed frustrated with the computer in front of her.

"What's on the schedule for today?"

"Um can you start with the brakes on the Chevy Malibu?" She asked. "If I get one more damn phone call from him I'm going to shove a brake pad up his ass."

"They'll be done by lunch," I said, smirking at Gemma as I headed out to the garage to start working on the car. I was working away when the guys started to filter in and out. Lowell had started working on a car in the next bay. Occasionally someone else would offer a hand but there wasn't much that any of the patched members did.

I was working on loosening a bolt when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I turned and almost dropped the wrench that was in my hand.

"Hey Happy," I said.

"Need any help?"

"Don't tell me you're a mechanic too?" I scoffed. "None of these so called mechanics have lifted so much as a finger to help Kip, Lowell, or I."

"To be fair Princess," Tig said. "You wouldn't let anyone help you."

"Have any of you offered?" I shot back. That seemed to shut him up.

"Do you work here too?" I asked, turning my full attention to Happy.

"No," he said. He was twirling another toothpick between his teeth. I figured that was a normal thing for him.

"So why offer?"

"Because I don't believe someone as pretty as you should have to work," he said.

I blushed as I continued what I was doing.

"Well, pretty doesn't pay the bills," I said. "Can you hand me a 3/8?"

He grabbed the wrench with a huff and handed it to me.

"You get sick of the mess?" He asked, nodding towards the box.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Couldn't find anything in here so between repos and repairs I found time to organize and clean," I said. "My efficiency went through the roof after that."

I handed the tool back to him and he returned it to the same place it'd been.

"That your Street Glide out there?" He asked, looking through the open garage door.

I nodded. "Can you get me the 1/4?"

He handed it to me as he admired the bike. I'd done a few customizations, and had everything I could matted out.

"Wanna take her for a spin?" I asked.

"Seriously?"

"No."

He glared at me as I tried to hand the wrench back to him. He wouldn't take it, which confused me until I noticed Kip and Chibs walking up.

"Wouldn't want the guys to see you doing bitch work," I mumbled as I returned the wrench myself.

Before long I was finished up with the Malibu so I let Gemma know. She had sent some of the guys to pick up a totaled car that we were scrapping for parts about an hour ago and they were just getting back. When the tow truck dropped the car I couldn't help but laugh at the deer through the windshield. I walked over to assess the damage with Kip and Jax.

"Some days you're the buck, some days you're the beemer," Jax said with a smirk. I chuckled a little.

"Sack, get the deer outta there," Jax said.

"How?"

Jax just walked over and grabbed a chainsaw.

"Pretend it's carve your own steak night," Jax said.

"I don't eat meat," Kip said. I smiled at him softly.

"Gem, you got anything for me or can I help Kip?" I asked. She just nodded and shooed me away so I returned to the car.

By the time we got the deer out we were both laughing and covered in deer blood.

"Damn it," I said, looking at my jeans and boots. Hopefully I'd be able to get this out.

"Hydrogen peroxide will take that right out little girl," Happy said. "I can help if you've got a change of clothes."

"No," I said. "I think I can't get it out when I get home."

He just glared at me before he walked away.

"No one talks to him like that do they?" I asked Kip. He shook his head as he let out a soft chuckle.

"You're really asking for it Nikki," Kip said before we got back to work on the car.