37

"That bad?" I asked. She only nodded and I took a deep breath.

"Yeah. I'll get church ready," I said, going to retrieve the medical kit and a bottle of whiskey. I also grabbed some disinfectant stuff and headed back to church to clean it up.

"What happened?" Lyla asked.

"Why don't you and Corri take the kids to a dorm," I said. "Tig got shot. All I know is I have to help patch him up. I think everyone else is whole."

"I've got some games in Opie and I's room. Tell Gem I've got Abel too."

I nodded and thanked her before walking into church and starting to clean.

"Lyla took the kids to her and Opie's dorm. She's got Abel too. I told her to take Corri for the extra hands," I said. Gemma nodded from her seat in Clay's chair. Any other old lady would be punished for sitting at the table without her old man present.

"Everything okay Gem?"

She just looked at me with a soft smile and nodded.

"Who else?" I asked.

"No one," she said.

"Bullshit."

The room fell silent as she shut the door. I knew that got everyone's attention.

"Miles," she said. "Phil too."

"Dead?" I asked. She nodded. I wiped my eyes but heard motorcycles approaching so she ran out to meet them. I finished disinfecting the table and turned on all the light I could get. I also laid a couple of towels down in attempt to keep any blood from staining the table.

Chibs and Happy carried him into the church and he groaned as he was sat on the table. Tig's dark curls were soaked in sweat as he looked like he wanted to pass out.

"Where-?" My question was cut off when Happy pulled a knife and cut his shirt off.

"Tig, baby, can you drink this?" I pressed the bottle to his lips and he took a couple swigs.

"How bad is it Chibs?" I asked softly. He just shook his head. It wasn't looking good.

"Slug's still in his gut," Chibs said. "Gonna get infected."

I nodded a little. "Is there anyone for him who isn't here? Old lady? Maybe one of his kids?"

"Fawn's still pissed at him. Ex doesn't like him," Chibs said with a shrug. I nodded.

Happy was still standing near the table.

"Go eat," I said, kissing him quickly. He just shook his head and sat down by Tig's head.

We set to work cleaning the area and pulling the slug from the wound. It took us a good hour to get that done. Chibs was clearly shaking by the time we finished with that.

"Let me stitch him," I said. Chibs just sat down and started to talk to Tig as I stitched him up.

It took me twenty more minutes to have him stitched and bandaged up.

"Can we get him to bed?" I asked softly. Happy and Chibs stood up and carried him to his dorm. I followed behind them.

"Someone should keep an eye on him overnight," I said softly.

"I'll do it," Juice said. He must've followed us back to the dorm.

"What about Corri?" I asked.

"She's here?"

I nodded. "With the kids in Opie's dorm."

"I'll stay with 'im brotha," Chibs said.

"Get me at the first sign of anything going wrong," I said. "But first go eat."

Chibs just shook his head. I nodded, figuring I'd take him some food once I got cleaned up.

I turned and headed back to Happy's dorm, beelining for the bathroom to scrub my hands clean.

"You did great little girl," he said.

"Thanks," I said. "Hopefully he pulls through."

"He will," Hap said. I nodded and he wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm gonna take Chibs some food. You should eat too. Then we need to talk."

He only nodded and followed me to the kitchen where I made him a plate and forced him to sit down and eat as I made a plate for Chibs and took it and a beer to him in Tigs dorm.