47

I turned to face the door as Happy walked in. He just looked at me and his eyes started to water again.

"You wanna talk?" I asked softly. He shook his head.

I nodded and went to the kitchen to grab him a cup of coffee. He sat on the couch staring at the wall across from him. I handed him the mug and his eyes didn't move as he took the mug.

I tried to go back to housework but the house was spotless. I headed down to where Happy's aunt was and offered her help but she wouldn't take any.

"Maria planned her funeral," she said. "Everything's paid for. I called the funeral home. It's gonna be day after tomorrow."

I nodded a little at that. "Do you need anything from me?"

She just shook her head and turned her back to me. I pulled the door to Maria's bedroom shut and returned to Happy.

I sat down with him and he didn't blink. I placed my hand on his arm cautiously, not fully knowing what his reaction would be.

When he didn't move I curled into his side and laid my head on his shoulder. We sat in silence for a while.

"We need to plan the funeral," he said.

"Ma took care of it. It's all paid for and everything. Your aunt called this morning and it's going to happen day after tomorrow," I said. He just nodded and went back to being stone cold.

When he finished his coffee cup I went and refilled it and made myself some tea.

I sat back down with him and he still wouldn't budge.

"I love you Happy," I said softly as I placed his cup in his hand and wrapped my hands around my mug.

He didn't move at all. I took a deep breath. I didn't know what to do. I knew he was going through a lot but I needed to keep him from pushing me out and I didn't know how to do that.

"Hap," I said, placing my hand on his arm to get his attention. "I'm going to go call Gemma."

I wasn't sure he'd even heard me. I stood up and headed to the back porch where I sat down and dialed her number.

"Hey baby," she said.

"Hey Gem," I said.

"Jax told me about what's going on," she said. "Let us know what the club can do."

I stared out at Maria's garden and my eyes watered a little. Just a few months ago, Happy and I were married in front of those rose bushes but now, they seemed to depress me more than I ever would've imagined.

"Thanks," I said. "I," I cleared my throat and took a sip of my tea. "I was actually calling for some old lady advice."

"He's shutting ya out," she said. "Just be consistent. He'll pull through but it was always just the two of them. It's gonna take a while but keep reminding him you love him and you're there for him."

"I will," I said. I was crying again.

"It's okay to cry baby," she said. "Go see Hap. Maybe he'll snap out of it seeing you cry."

I scoffed at that. "Thanks Gem."

"Anytime baby."

I hung up the phone and headed back to the living room where Happy was still sitting, staring into space. I sat down with him and sniffled a little. He didn't even flinch.

"Hap," I said softly. "You're scaring me."

He turned to me at that but still didn't say anything.

"I love you Happy. I know you process things differently but this stone cold look is scaring me," I said.

He scoffed at that and threw his coffee mug. Thankfully it was empty as it shattered into pieces.

"This is scaring you," he said.

"I've never seen you react to anything like this Hap," I said.

" I just lost my fucking mother," he said.

"I know Happy," I said, avoiding looking at him. His anger was worse now than I'd ever seen it before. I trusted him not to hurt me but the fact that he could kill me still lingered in the back of my mind.

"Than why the fuck don't you leave me alone?"

"Because Hap. I'm worried about you. And we're married. That means we're in this together."

"I never should've fucking married you." I wasn't listening to this. I got up and ran down the hallway, locking the door behind me.